All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Fuel Tank Removal
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Fuel Tank Removal Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,

I just watched an episode of Rehab Addict where an old, unused fuel oil tank was removed from the basement of a residence. The fuel tank removal neglected a number of important safety considerations.

Most importantly, before a tank is cut, the atmosphere in the tank should be rendered inert (i.e., non explosive). A fuel tank should never be cut by any means until it has been confirmed that explosive vapors are not present in the tank.

As happened on the show, it is very common for residual fuel to remain in piping. That's why it's important to disassemble (not cut) and drain the piping before the tank is removed.

I hope that you'll find a way to get these precautions out to your viewers.

Thank you.

Eric Floyd

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You might want to use this link instead to share your concerns as these boards aren't monitored that much.

http://www.diynetwork.com/cont...s/package/index.html

Good, serious and well taken observations though.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I didn't see the show, I can't stand Nicole's voice. That said, keep in mind there is a probably many hours of tape for every minute of show. They could have followed all the steps you outlined and it just not appear on the show.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sparky617:
        I didn't see the show, I can't stand Nicole's voice. That said, keep in mind there is a probably many hours of tape for every minute of show. They could have followed all the steps you outlined and it just not appear on the show.

True but they too can add a disclaimer as well. Wink
        Board members see my picky posts about the show and some of those "made for TV moments". Luckily RA contains very little of those compared to say Renovation Realities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1583 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Renovation Realities is too painful to watch. I can't imagine actually volunteering to be on that, because they can't be as stupid as they make them out to be... Can they?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Renovation Realities is too painful to watch. I can't imagine actually volunteering to be on that, because they can't be as stupid as they make them out to be... Can they?

Actually....yes, they can.

Of course, being on TV makes people become weird too.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the tank came in in one piece. unless somebody has fooled with the doors and walls, it can go out in one piece. granted, it's twice as heavy as two pieces.

have mentioned it before, but you have to remove the pipes and fix the holes in the basement... or fill up the pipes with cement. every year one or two houses in our region get that forgotten auto-fill and it can red-tag the house. almost happened to the folks' house, except I knocked out the pipes and cemented up the block. 10 months later, Dad caught the oil guy, hose in hand, looking around for the fill pipe...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:

Actually....yes, they can.

I personally like the one that they are converting the attic to a MB and wait until the day of construction to clean out the "stuff" and wonder why the time frame is behind.

Duh.....

Of course, being on TV makes people become weird too.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I always thought those "duh" moments were for shock effect designed as some sort of perverse "entertainment" (in the minds of the producers) for the audiences, although it wouldn't surprise me if folks actually did some of the things that are shown.

I'll still never forget the one RA episode when Nicole cut down a tree which struck the side of the building, while a young helper was standing not too far away. That was irresponsible and stupid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1966 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        too many folks think they can cut down a tree.

the tree has a habit of teaching them it's subject to gravity, any slope it's on or the direction it leans, and that you have to cut a V down from the through-cut to help guide it in the right direction.

we finally had to take one down in our back yard, and good ol' boy scout I have been, it was iffy enough we set up about 200 feet of rope, hooked behind a strong branch on the backside, to make sure we guided it exactly right from a very safe distance. son #3 has been part of a weekend in which "that darn tree" hit a 3800 volt rural coop feeder line.

that slop gets expensive fast...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5858 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        the tank came in in one piece. unless somebody has fooled with the doors and walls, it can go out in one piece. granted, it's twice as heavy as two pieces.

have mentioned it before, but you have to remove the pipes and fix the holes in the basement... or fill up the pipes with cement. every year one or two houses in our region get that forgotten auto-fill and it can red-tag the house. almost happened to the folks' house, except I knocked out the pipes and cemented up the block. 10 months later, Dad caught the oil guy, hose in hand, looking around for the fill pipe...

Removal of fill pipes with the tank is built into most building codes, I had always though. But we all have seen short cuts that homeowners & handymen take.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1583 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post