DIY Network

All Projects

TV Projects

    What Do You Want To Work On?

      What Activity Do You Want To Do?


        Available Projects

        Get Results

        DIY Network /

        Message Boards

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Home Remodel
        Home Remodel Sign In/Join 
        I am currently renting a home that is going up for sale. My landlord has given me the opportunity to buy this home. The house needs updates and a remodel. Do I contact a contractor to tell me what the cost would be? Or do I a home inspection? Thanks for any input anyone can give me.
        Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I would talk to a contractor and a real estate agent.

        A contractor can give you estimates for the different remodels you may want to do. As you do not currently own the house and the whole project could fall through if you don't buy, you can expect more like ballpark figures rather than full estimates. Still, this should be enough to give you a general budget and let you prioritize what you may or may not want to do.

        A knowledgeable real estate agent can clue you in to the current value of the house and how your place would compare to others around it if you did add in some extra remodel money. The only thing is that you may not find an agent willing to give you the info without signing up for them to act as your buyers agent.

        A home inspector would not know what remodels would cost and if he did, it would be a huge ethical breach to make any remodel recommendations.

        This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

        Posts: 10500 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Home inspectors have ethics, who knew? Big Grin

        Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
        Posts: 1589 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        According to my view, It is better to consult the professional home contractor to rebuild the entire house into a new model. I heard, Interior designers will play a vital role to get the best results in a very short span of time.

        best home decorating ideas

        ideas for home decorating
        Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
          Powered by Social Strata  

            DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Home Remodel

        © Scripps Networks 2009


        Posting Guidelines

        • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
        • No off-topic or off-color postings.
        • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of DIY moderators.
        • No advertising is allowed.
        • Be nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
        • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political or religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by DIY.

        Full Guidelines

        For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.