DIY Message Boards
Home Remodel

This topic can be found at:

Nov 18, 2013, 06:24 PM
Home Remodel
I am currently renting a home that is going up for sale. My landlord has given me the opportunity to buy this home. The house needs updates and a remodel. Do I contact a contractor to tell me what the cost would be? Or do I a home inspection? Thanks for any input anyone can give me.
Nov 18, 2013, 07:01 PM
I would talk to a contractor and a real estate agent.

A contractor can give you estimates for the different remodels you may want to do. As you do not currently own the house and the whole project could fall through if you don't buy, you can expect more like ballpark figures rather than full estimates. Still, this should be enough to give you a general budget and let you prioritize what you may or may not want to do.

A knowledgeable real estate agent can clue you in to the current value of the house and how your place would compare to others around it if you did add in some extra remodel money. The only thing is that you may not find an agent willing to give you the info without signing up for them to act as your buyers agent.

A home inspector would not know what remodels would cost and if he did, it would be a huge ethical breach to make any remodel recommendations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Nov 20, 2013, 07:22 AM
Home inspectors have ethics, who knew? Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Dec 26, 2013, 04:18 AM
According to my view, It is better to consult the professional home contractor to rebuild the entire house into a new model. I heard, Interior designers will play a vital role to get the best results in a very short span of time.

best home decorating ideas

ideas for home decorating