All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Ceiling Tiles
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Ceiling Tiles Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a home that was built in 1953. My ceiling panels are my insulation as well as my visible ceiling. I understand that the "tiles" are compressed and that is my insulation. The tiles are installed above the exposed beams. There is not wood sheeting on the ceiling as most homes have. I have a rolled roof system. I would like to replace some of the ceiling tiles and maybe all when the roof is redone. I am finding it difficult for a roofer to work on this house. They want to cover my beams and I do not want to do that. Question: Can I find these ceiling tiles somewhere and what are they called. My neighbor, who seemed to know a lot about this roof has passed away.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        don't understand the issue. the magic "insulation panels" in particular, where are they located? what is the roof type, is it sloped, is there a legitimate attic of dead air space, etc.

if we are to assume that above the ceilings, there are lower chords on the trusses or beams if plain open-center rafter roof supports, under a pitched roof, and no-strength panels of some sort located on the upper chords/rafters over your head, I can understand the roofers wanting to knock them off. they are doing you no good at best, and creating issues more likely.

attics need to breathe. they need to pull in cooler air from the soffet overhangs or from low vents, and exhaust it by any means through the top of the roof, to keep moisture exiting the attic and not dripping onto the ceiling and damaging it. any crud in the way of getting airflow through the attic, up along the underside of the roof, and out the top, is very not good.

insulation belongs next to the ceiling, running upwards, not blocking airflow, and built up to the recommended R-value for your area.

and any roofer who doesn't work to that end is not following the legal building codes and helping to damage the house.

if I am reading the post correctly, the roofer is right, and whoever put that slop up was not up to speed. and if it's in the attic, who can see it anyway?

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Can you post some pictures? Need some of this ceiling and the roof. No close ups needed.
        I've never seen or heard of "ceiling panels" that also act as the only insulation.
        Also please add your location to your profile.

joecaption

Posts: 18021 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        We do not have an attic. I understand from a former contractor that the "ceiling tiles" are compressed to a 9 inch thickness. They may be 4 foot by 8 foot sections that are attached to the ceiling beams. The beams are exposed to the inside of the house and the "ceiling tiles" are my exposed ceiling. The slope of the roof will not permit shingles. We have a rolled roof. Part of the ceiling tiles do overhang as our soffits. I am looking to find some of these tiles and have them replaced before I replace the roof. I just don't know what to ask for or where to look. In the 1950's, this house was built by an architect, now deceased, and was supposed to be an innovative idea. It has worked and lasted for over 50 years, so I don't think it has been so bad. I just need to get a few of them replaced.

posted Hide Post
        I forgot to give my location. I live in Marion, OH. My husband and I are in our 60's and would like to do a final repair on this roof before we get too old. We have been sealing the roof and doing small repairs over the years. I even had to go up on the roof and take the nails out of the downspout when I had spouting replaced. The house is a tri-level so we are not on a two story house, but we are getting a little older to do these things. I think I did state that there is no wooden sheeting between the rolled roofing and the "ceiling tiles". I have never pulled the roofing back to see how the "ceiling tiles" are attached. I have to assume that they are bolted in. I want to keep the beams showing inside. Roofers who have been here want to attach a ceiling to the bottom of the beams. I just don't want to do that. The roof is sturdy as we had lightening bring a two ton section of a tree down on the upper part (above our heads at 3:15 in the morning) and the roof held. That is when I had several roofers come in and give estimates and I heard several different opinions about what we should do. I will try to get some pictures and post them this week. I am not very good at that.

posted Hide Post
        so there's no airgap between the roofing materials and the living space? no attic at all?

I understand better. it is not possible to create an insulated zone or have airflow under the roof in those circumstances without building an "attic" under the exposed beams.

you could photograph what you have, and get a carpenter to install faux beams under the new roof and ceiling that will look just like the old ones.

I think the "ceiling tiles" are probably foamboard with a little fire retardant sprayed on the bottom. there is no structure on the roof if that was the case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5710 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post