DIY Message Boards
Air Exchanger Needed?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/2003961108

Feb 09, 2014, 10:09 AM
MUNCH105
Air Exchanger Needed?
I'm building a story and half. We want spray foam on the first floor only. Would a air exchanger be needed if the basement and 2nd story have normal fiberglass installed. We are also installing a geo thermal system.

Thanks,
Feb 09, 2014, 12:17 PM
Jaybee
That's a question to run by a qualified heating and air company. Lots of variables to go with the pros and cons of an air exchange system.

The basic recommendation is that if your house is sealed tight then you probably could benefit from an air exchange installation. But 'tight' means not only exterior walls but also attic spaces and all the small openings in wall cavities.

Nobody here will be able to give you more than just general information. Since you are in the middle of the build process already I'd take this up with your current H/A guy.

Jaybee
Feb 09, 2014, 06:34 PM
Sparky617
Why get cheap on the insulation? I'd go spray foam all over.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Feb 16, 2014, 07:54 AM
CommonwealthSparky
Spam Bumper Razz

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Feb 18, 2014, 01:03 PM
Sparky617
These spammers are getting annoying again.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.