All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Fireplace surround
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Fireplace surround Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,
        I am remodeling our fireplace surround. It had tile around it and I successfully demoed that. Now the "backerboard" is weak in places and I can press it in easily with 1 finger. I am thinking I need to tear out all of this "backerboard". I say backerboard as I don't really know what it is. Should I replace it with wonderboard? Ultimately my goal is to have a paintable fireplace surround, no tile or stone with a modern look. Can I paint the wonderboard as if it were drywall? Can the wonderboard butt up against the fireplace? It is a gas fireplace and has not visable vents in the front, I imagine it all goes up thru the chimney that I know is for sure there.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First step is to check code requirements in your area, as they will vary. Normally, there is a minimum distance to the sides and above the firebox that must be non-flamable material. That includes paint. That distance can be very small or non-existant if you have a gas fireplace with a fixed glass front, a small distance for regular gas and a greater distance if it's set up for wood burning.

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post