DIY Message Boards
Fireplace surround

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/1983958377

Sep 16, 2013, 09:36 PM
DIYtrophywife
Fireplace surround
Hi,
I am remodeling our fireplace surround. It had tile around it and I successfully demoed that. Now the "backerboard" is weak in places and I can press it in easily with 1 finger. I am thinking I need to tear out all of this "backerboard". I say backerboard as I don't really know what it is. Should I replace it with wonderboard? Ultimately my goal is to have a paintable fireplace surround, no tile or stone with a modern look. Can I paint the wonderboard as if it were drywall? Can the wonderboard butt up against the fireplace? It is a gas fireplace and has not visable vents in the front, I imagine it all goes up thru the chimney that I know is for sure there.
Sep 22, 2013, 06:21 PM
Jaybee
First step is to check code requirements in your area, as they will vary. Normally, there is a minimum distance to the sides and above the firebox that must be non-flamable material. That includes paint. That distance can be very small or non-existant if you have a gas fireplace with a fixed glass front, a small distance for regular gas and a greater distance if it's set up for wood burning.

Jaybee