All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    remodeling
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

remodeling Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Good Afternoon,
        I am wanting to remodel my family room, kitchen and living room I am so overwhelmed because I don't feel like I have a very good eye for remodeling. I can go to the stores and see things that I like, but putting them together is another story. Help please any ideas

Posts: 1 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: May 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's easy to get overwhelmed as there are many details and many timelines to make the project work. If you are stuck at this point, then it's time to call in a pro. If you shop around, you can find a contractor who may be willing to do a part of the work that you are not able to, then let you do the rest.

Check with any friends or co-workers who have remodeled for some references.

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Which is the most important? I'd choose one room first and complete the plannin first, then the remodeling for that before taking on the other two rooms. If you have 3 rooms under remodel, your family will be displaced and inconvenienced much more than if you tackle one at a time. And you'll be learning from the first remodel and make want to incorporate some of that knowledge and/or revisions in the subsequent ones.

Look at remodeling magazines you can find at Lowes and Home Depot and perhaps create a binder of ideas.

Ask your family what it is they dislike about the existing rooms and configurations and what they want to have. Then incorporate those elements in your designs.

You wrote that you see things you like; make lists of them and add them to your master plans.

Also, create a budget of time and money. Decide how much of both you want and can spend. Are there small children in the home? How much time can you afford to spend on a daily/weekly basis? And most importantly, determine how much you can afford to spend for kitchen appliances, cabinets, and other materials.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I agree with @GardenSprite! You should start with one room at a time.

Make a plan. First think about what you need and about your priorities. Try to research and collect all your ideas in a scrapbook. Also, it’s very important to set the budget and to stick to it.

Posts: 26 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        one little quibble... if you plan on running the same flooring all through that area, do it all at once. it's easier, you only get sore and stiff once, and the floor doesn't end up with unintentional gaps.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5500 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post