All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    New Spam Record
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

New Spam Record Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        Looks like the latest spammer has already set a record - 7 posts in the Remodeling Section alone, and all today. Busy girl, this Amanda Dawson. And clever, too; sometimes she just rewords someone else's advice - no point offering anything new if she can avoid it by rehashing someone else's post.

That's 3 new spammers just in the last few days. Is there a full moon someplace?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'm beginning to think that everyone here is spam, except you and me. And I'm not too sure about you. Or me.

Jaybee

Posts: 10101 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe they don't want to leap into the deep end of the home improvement pool the first day here. Wink
        Nothing worse than a newbee knowitall. We actually there is a lot of things worse than than.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1392 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        And to think that the posting guide lines are just to the right..?

Posts: 733 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        I'm beginning to think that everyone here is spam, except you and me. And I'm not too sure about you. Or me.

And now I'm not sure about myself either. A post I wrote earlier has completely disappeared. Let's see... the spammers continue to spam, but I comment on them and my post is deleted?

posted Hide Post
        On just one of the boards at HGTV AmaliaMarkous has at least 25 topics she's started on just the first page. They alternate between stupid questions and "helpful" advice. All have a link at the bottom.

I suspect the spammers are actually one person with many sign-ins and their goal is to get you to follow the link. Some have speculated that this is one of the "work from home" scams and they get paid on the number of click throughs they drive to the web site link they provided.

If DIY and HGTV actually had moderators they'd clean the mess up. But, if the trigger word filter doesn't catch a post it stays up forever. Even reporting posts doesn't get the attention of anyone at either DIY or HGTV. It wouldn't surprise me if both networks pulled the plug on these boards before too long. They clearly don't maintain them.

I'm usually somewhat suspicious of first time posters. Many times they don't bother coming back to see what advice was offered, or if they do they don't follow up with a thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 608 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've recently reported a spammer to the board and nothing happened, the thread is still on. I also told them to delete my post response also.

I've thought about when seeing an advertisement, maybe I'd write "No no don't use them, I tried them and they didn't treat me right. They actually stole my money and all I got were lies". Maybe bad mouthing their service or product would get rid of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 870 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky, I think you're right. There is so much similarity in the fractured language, the lack of cogent advice and substance in the so-called posts that it does suggest they're the same person with multiple identities. Maybe what this person needs is a shrink, not oversight by a website moderator.

I also agree that the moderators, if they even exist, and/or the webmaster, are just ignoring this situation. I've thought also for some time that this reflects a lack of interest in supporting and maintaining viable forums.

When this has happened in the past on other forums, it was just a matter of time before the forums were shut down. This happened with a whole series of Meredith Publication sponsored BHG and Midwest Living forums. BHG used to have a good building and remodeling forum but it's now extinct.

Re-mdlr, others including me have also found that reporting spam produces no results. Perhaps your suggestion is a good one.

But honestly, these people apparently have nothing else to do and/or are too lazy to work legitimately. Or maybe they're low level flunkies in some foreign cartel that seeks to make money by hacking Americans and US websites.

We don't really know how much information they're able to get if we were to click on their advertisement links. Even with firewalls, the low-lifes find ways to steal personal info.

Swschrad was apparently a computer scientist major. Maybe he can offer some insight.

I discovered a few years ago that everytime I reported an unwanted, illegitimate call on the Do Not Call website that within a day or two I received a Nigerian scam e-mail. I couldn't help wondering if that site had been hacked.

Now, here's another thought: let's adapt Nona's method for disposing of excess sunshine. It's now very rainy here, and although I love the rain I'd be willing to sacrifice some to create a flood. We can put all the spammers on an ark, with no food and/or potable water and set them off in the Atlantic Ocean just before hurricane season starts. ....If only this were possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        the way to deal with spammers is tactical nuclear weapons. problem is, we don't have their addresses. and I don't have enough plutonium, sigh.

the best way is to have something like volunteer moderators prowling for free, and have The Magic Finger to blast the spam. oh, wait, this isn't 1990s AOL, it's already free.

you could pattern-filter on a recognized, reported spam account and/or the text on being alerted, as a corporate moderator. oh, but they aren't.

it frankly takes active intervention to keep up with the creeps, and if you value your brand, you budget the time. that's the bottom line. or you rigidly control signups from the start, like a 2 or 3 stage signup process, where I. M. Goofy signs up, has to pick a Magic Word out of an email sent to their box, and drop it in the "confirm signup here" link in that email.

haven't seen that yet here, either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5479 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
        I've recently reported a spammer to the board and nothing happened, the thread is still on. I also told them to delete my post response also.

I've thought about when seeing an advertisement, maybe I'd write "No no don't use them, I tried them and they didn't treat me right. They actually stole my money and all I got were lies". Maybe bad mouthing their service or product would get rid of them.

You can delete your own messages by clicking on the folder with the eraser on it by the report this post triangle with the exclamation point in it. You'll get the option to edit or delete it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 608 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:

it frankly takes active intervention to keep up with the creeps, and if you value your brand, you budget the time. ...

or you rigidly control signups from the start, like a 2 or 3 stage signup process, where I. M. Goofy signs up, has to pick a Magic Word out of an email sent to their box, and drop it in the "confirm signup here" link in that email.

So, if the DIY brand isn't valued enough to devote moderating time for this forum, perhaps the position is that the programs matter but the forum doesn't. Seems to me that would dilute the image and power of the DIY brand.

But does that infer a similar casual attitude toward the programs? And why watch them? Oh, I forgot, there's Nicole in her tank tops Big Grin

One of the forums of which I'm particularly fond does have staged signups. It usually takes a week to be validated. Maybe that's what's needed here. Think the moderators would respond?

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sparky617:

You can delete your own messages by clicking on the folder with the eraser on it by the report this post triangle with the exclamation point in it. You'll get the option to edit or delete it.

Yes, I'm aware that I can delete them -- I was hoping the moderators would get rid of the original post and I was telling them to feel free to delete my response to the person as well. I didn't want them to feel obligated to leave the post just because I had a response -- as if it wasn't "friendly". But if they're going to leave the advertisement, then they can leave my response as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 870 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post