DIY Message Boards
Opening up staircase to second floor.

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/1703995177

Jun 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
Guzman214
Opening up staircase to second floor.
Hello everyone...

Hubby and I just bought a house. It was built in the 40s and there is some work to be done. My question is in regards to opening up a staircase that leads to the second floor attic space/spare bedroom. Has anyone had experience opening up the wall to expose a staircase before, and if so...how would we go about doing it? I do not have measurements, but I do have a couple pictures if needed. Thanks!
Jun 24, 2013, 08:01 PM
Jaybee
Are you saying that there is already a staircase there that has been sealed off? If so, then it's only a matter of access to the former opening. No way is it structural, as it used to be open in the past. So if that's what you have, then it 'should' be a fairly simple process of removing the section that is filler and trimming everything out to look nice.

Now if there never was a stair there and you are wanting to make one, then this is a much more difficult project. Best suited for a pro.

Jaybee
Jun 25, 2013, 07:45 AM
Sparky617
I suspect she is talking about opening up the side walls so the stairway is open to the rooms.

We did it at my parents home, it can be done but there may be a beam above the wall is structural so some engineering can be involved. If the floor joists run perpendicular to the stairs and are hanging off of a beam it is structural and may need beefed up to have the wall removed. If the joists run parallel to the stairs the load above could be less but you need some eyes on the ground to evaluate the load and how much if any support needs to be added in.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.