All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Advice for a full remodel?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Advice for a full remodel? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,
        My wife and I are completely remodeling our 1904 Craftsman Style House. Basically just the frame of the house and the fireplace are staying. We have a contractor that asked us to sit down and decide if and what we wanted to do ourselves to save money. We are doing the demo with our contractor and some handy friends, but is there much else that we can do ourselves? My uncle is a retired contractor who offered to help us, but he can't be there the whole time. And my dad is a woodworker who is very handy. The contractor said I could probably do the backsplash tile work ourselves, and the painting, but we are wondering if there is anything else that we are not aware of. We have very handy people who are willing to help.
        Thanks for any advice...

Also, any advice for cost savers would be great!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        what are YOUR skills, and can you work quickly and well enough to not get in the contractor's way? remember, how well the job goes is on HIS record. that's his job to seek the best help. it's to your benefit as well.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        That's what if boils down to - What are your skills and what do you have time for combined with what the contractor is willing to have you do. With our clients, we can only have them do work at either end. I cannot risk having a homeowner work with my crew and also cannot count on a homeowner keeping the same schedule as our work plan. So homeowners do very little in the middle of the project.

One thing you can do though is to shop around for material that requires your input. Things like electrical and plumbing fixtures, paint colors, floor types etc. all need your input. Narrowing your choices down to a few that your contractor can help you with will save a lot of time.

Jaybee

Posts: 10315 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        And don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to do that 'shopping'. Plus the 'thinking' time to come up with the final decision. Add to that the time it takes to build things like 'cabinets' or 'countertops'. A lack of decisions can bring a whole project to a complete standstill.

Posts: 953 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        adding to Jaybee... the contractor has submitted a bid to you and had it accepted. that includes $X for the pretty, appliances, tile, treatments, and so on. before you take his sizes and requirements and shop for the version you like, you need to know that budget amount out of the total bid.

can't cheat on the studs holding up the wall, or use noodles for plumbing to save money. can't take the contingency money either because something always is wrong that was not in the budget that has to be fixed during the job.

anything over that budget amount is going to be out of your pocket regardless, so don't go wild. you already agreed to the amount.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you have some very handy people who can help.....
        Why not buy a couple of how to books and nix the contractor.

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post