DIY Message Boards
Building Codes

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4291013504/m/1283900077

Apr 24, 2013, 01:18 PM
Celdtun
Building Codes
I am beginning on a studs-up bathroom remodeling and I am drafting the plans for the building and electrical permits. I am trying to research which building codes will apply and I'm a little overwhelmed by the "variety" offered. Between the International Building Code, Residential Code for One+ Dwellings, Existing Building Code and the Energy Conservation Code... I just don't know where to start. I'm not afraid to actually read and digest the material, but I don't need to become an expert either. I am only looking for enough information so I can make sure to pass inspections with minimal difficulties.

So, question one, which code(s) should I make sure to read and which can I ignore? Question two, which should I start with and and what order should I read them. Finally, I see a lot of illustrated guides, subject specific and condensed code books... are there any that are worth the money and will shorten my time to understanding?
Apr 24, 2013, 03:26 PM
swschrad
the short answer is to call your local inspector or code office, or stop by, show a quick sketch and tell them what you want to do. they will tell you what they need and under what king their inspector serves, so to speak.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Apr 24, 2013, 06:50 PM
CommonwealthSparky
quote:
Originally posted by swschrad:
the short answer is to call your local inspector or code office, or stop by, show a quick sketch and tell them what you want to do. they will tell you what they need and under what king their inspector serves, so to speak.

Excellent advise.
If you still are interested in code books, Dewalt has a very reasonably priced series of code reference books available. Well thought out with examples of all types of situations encountered in home improvement trade. You can even use the code reference in the books to do look ups in more defined terms say in the NEC. Helpful with those days when a code man tells you "this is not allowed". A polite reply of please show me why in writing always makes a fun day on the job...

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Apr 24, 2013, 07:37 PM
Jaybee
quote:
A polite reply of please show me why in writing always makes a fun day on the job...

Right up there with, "Let me help you with that root canal" or "Wasn't that your wife I saw with that guy at a hotel the other day?"

Jaybee
Apr 25, 2013, 08:42 AM
Celdtun
Lol, I can imagine the fun.

I am actually planning to swing by the inspector's office this afternoon and have a rather significant list of questions that I'd like his/her input on. I'd still like to find some book(s) of reference that will help me feel more confident that I'm not missing some clause somewhere. I also like to have something like that on hand for reference during the parts of the remodel that are not as common for a DIYer.

Thanks for the feedback btw.