All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Nicole Curtis & Stripping (Warning: Rant follows)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Nicole Curtis & Stripping (Warning: Rant follows) Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'll bet that got someone's attention!

I'm not going to go into all the safety noise about chemical strippers. Frankly, I don't care. I'm going the other way. That said...

If I hear that commercial one more time about her stripping chemicals eating the flesh off her bones, I'm going to find someone to poke in the eye.

When is this very talented person going to discover the joys of CitriStrip or Soygel?

I can strip up to 9 layers (my record so far) off antique doors, even to the point of sucking the stain right out of the wood in 2 applications. I prefer Citristrip purely because of availability.
        I've stripped now 11 antique, 5-panel doors, 11 kitchen cabinets in place and a bunch of other stuff just because I can and it's so easy! I don't even worry about whether I'm inside or out!

The most important thing to me is {drum roll} I don't need safety equipment. "GASP!" I know. I do this barefoot. I wipe the stuff off my hands on to my jeans. If I get the dissolved stuff on my hands, I rub Citristrip on like lotion, wait a few seconds and wash my hands. I squeegee the stuff into plastic bags. I scrub off the excess with WATER (definitely not mineral spirits) and a scrubbie.

If you're patient and leave it on overnight (or I go to work) you can peel paint off in sheets. A 2nd application will start to suck the stain out like BBQ sauce. It is FABULOUS. On windy days or something with years of layers, you can even cut up those zillions of plastic grocery bags and press them into the Citristrip to keep it in contact with the wood. It continues to work.

It lifts paint out of carved detail beautifully, in strips. For more stubborn stuff, I add more stripper and pick the soft paint out with a toothpick.

Certainly she is too smart, and her time, money and ok, health is better spent working on something else while this great-smelling, super-duper effective stripper does all the work? This makes it almost fun and the hardest part is cleaning up the goop into which these strippers turn paint and old finishes.

I'd do commercials free for them. Folks, join the new millennium and try some of these non-lethal, non-flesh-eating methods. Can you tell by my raving I love it?
        And so would this hard-working lady.

Ok. Rant over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CFM,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        [QUOTE]

Originally posted by CFM:
        I'll bet that got someone's attention!

If I hear that commercial one more time about her stripping chemicals eating the flesh off her bones, I'm going to find someone to poke in the eye. [QUOTE]

Personally, I find this kind of potential threat offensive, regardless of how you feel about chemical strippers. Maybe you should consider some anger management classes.

[QUOTE] When is this very talented person going to discover the joys of CitriStrip or Soygel? [QUOTE]

Perhaps she gets the chemical strippers free with the caveat that she uses them in her shows.

[QUOTE] Certainly she is too smart, and her time, money and ok, health is better spent working on something else while this great-smelling, super-duper effective stripper does all the work?

I'd do commercials free for them. [QUOTE]

Isn't that what this is?

Seriously, she's not going to read your rant, so what's the point?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1979 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Perhaps you're right: an unsolicited ad.
        However, those on TV are supposed to be experts and an expert would save themselves time and money.

This channel is supposed to help Harry & Harriet homeowner. Why accept a sponsor that makes life harder and a job more difficult, painful and tedious?

Oops. Didn't address your living in fear. Sorry. I forget that many do. Not being face 2 face, I understand you can't see me shaking my head over the commercial.

My point is as with many over the years. To get a rant off my chest.
        Sorry that was so difficult to figure out. I don't think I was obtuse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CFM,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe if you tried stripping the paint in a push-up bra & a white tank top; that seems to be working for Nicole

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        back when I was 9 years old, back when there were 18 letters in the alphabet and we didn't want any more, glad for the ones we had, the only stripper around was MEK. double the strength you buy now.

we bought a lovely 1922 house with up to 16 layers of clown colors on old-growth white oak all over the first floor. doors, trim, crown, built-in hutch... all of it. mom and dad stripped clown paint all night, up to 1 or 2 am, with that slop, in the winter, in the summer, for a year and a half.

stunk to high heaven.

we pretty much all survived. they hadn't invented liver disease or cancer back then.

get your ventilation and wear your protection no matter what you use. RPM version of citrus stripper says basically the same thing that MEK does, except it's not warnings, it's cautions... ventilation, gloves, eye protection, say three novenas and two Our Fathers, etc.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5866 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post