All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Remodeling    Attic Space
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Attic Space Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello everyone. I was watching Kitchen Impossible with Marc Bartolomeo this morning; more specifically "The Kitch-Den" episode from 2010 (I believe). During the episode he transferred the location of the kitchen to the den and installed/converted the ceiling to a vaulted ceiling. In the episode he strung 2x6s between trusses to create the vaulted ceiling. This gave me an idea for my garage attic here in sunny Sarasota, FL (Lakewood Ranch more specifically).

* In my attic, I have normal trusses with a 2x4 running down the middle of the top of the "floor joists" of the trusses, which are made out of 2x4s, and then a 2x4 that runs from the 2x4 on the joists to the end gable (I believe I have the correct term).

* I was thinking of insulating, and putting up sheet rock, and then installing a subfloor and running a/c into the space.

Here are a few side notes about the situation:

- I have access to the garage attic via 30ish x 48ish access with a piece of aged dry wall textured on one side to match my garage ceiling, but no swing down ladder. I need to take the 8' step ladder off my wall and then do a "muscle up" to get into my garage attic.

- My A/C system is 12 years old and when I had it serviced about a month ago. The guy told me my A/C was on it's last leg and demonstrated in several areas why he came to his conclusion. Short of the story, I believe him.

- I have space to install a fold up attic ladder, but I think I could also install some steep steps because my wife does not like to go up in the attic because - 1 the ladder situation, and 2 its hot up there. We had a fold up ladder system in our old house but my wife was scared of it and that is why I am thinking of stairs.

- finally, I come from a construction family line. As a kid, I worked on a couple of new houses and had fun framing. Then prior to joining the military, I worked as a framer/carpenter's apprentice for 2 years and did alot of "framing", a little block work (not much), installed a few beams, dug a bunch of footers, and then got laid off during the winters when the ground froze in Maryland. After 2 years, I saw and ad for the Marines and joined the Navy (go figure). Needless to say, that was almost 20 years ago (wow, where did time go?) and I work in the Medical field now. I still have my construction knowledge but I am not a master craftsman by any means.
        Now, I have a few questions and I hope I haven't confused you so far.

1. Are the 2x4 "floor joists" sufficient to support a subfloor of 3/4" plywood or do I need to run 2x6 or 2x8s for the floor?

2. If you are familiar with the episode mentioned or the method mentioned, can I simply run a 2x6 between the trusses to create a ceiling and then remove the stringers (2x4s on the floor and attached to the gable)?

3. Is this plan feasible at all? Can my trusses support a semi-finished attic space?

I will post pictures as soon as I can get my computer to download the photos from my camera. I am having a difficult time posting photos. I keep on trying
        Thanks in advance.
        And if any of the "Crashers" want to make this happen will redoing my kitchen and installing a pool that would be awesome. However, I assume that I will remain like the rest of America that doesn't win anything. haha
        Thanks,
        Ryan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scuba Dad,

Never stop your fitness journey, exercise at any age is beneficial.

Posts: 1 | Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL | Registered: Jul 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Answers:

1. NO.

2. NO again.

3. Probably not but if possible it's nothing like you have scoped out.

Explanation: Trusses are an engineered element. Just because they are made of 2x4 doesn't mean that you can replace the entire truss with a 2x6. While it can be possible to 'stick build' a roof structure, odds are it will take 2x10 or 2x12 to approach the load carrying abilities of the engineered truss system. Even at that, you may need to stick build as close as 12" OC. In addition, you will need at least 2x12's to create enough space to get near a minimum R-30 insulation rating. Something you will need in FL.

The same holds true for the bottom. Your new floor system will need to be sized based on the span. Just to give a guideline, 2x10 floor joists set 16" OC can span a maximum of 15'-4". If your garage is a typical two car garage you are looking at a 22' to 24' span. that's going to take one or more paralam beams to shorten your joist run.

I did not see this episode but in most cases adding a 2x6 in-between trusses and then removing the trusses will cause the roof to fail. It's entirely possible that something else was done to this ceiling off-camera that made it strong enough, but unless your roof was only about 8' long, there is no way that 2x6's can carry the load.

The other complication is that once you beef up both the rafters and the floor joists that you will intrude into your attic space by almost 2'. Meaning that you may not have any headroom left.

Finally, there are minimum stair requirements that must be met or this area will be useless - especially if you try to sell the house in the future.

If you really want to pursue this and think you can use this attic area as living space, then get a qualified contractor to take a look to see if it can be done. If it is possible, then this would be a good time to upgrade your H/A system to handle the additional area.

Jaybee

Posts: 10121 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        It's just a shame some of the things they show on some of these DIY shows that just never will work out in real life.
        Start watching shows like Holmes on Homes and This old house if you want to see some real world rehabs.
        Some of the other shows leave out way to much of the prep work and research need to do the job right.

joecaption

Posts: 17988 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post