All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  DIY Redesign    I don't feel safe from spammers
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

I don't feel safe from spammers Sign In/Join 
        posted
        praying for a gigantic sunspot to fry the bot controller that is spewing this stuff.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        There is really nothing they can do other than be mildly annoying. IF they have a link and IF you opened the link and IF that link contained a virus, then it could be a problem but very few are even reading the spammers posts these days. I doubt if anyone is compelled to click on their links once they can read the stupid gibberish that makes up their posts.

So they can't hurt us. If we continue to bump them down then at least they don't occupy the home page spot. Taunting them may be fun for all of us but realistically they probably don't even know and certainly will not care. Sure, they are a sad and pathetic lot, but for the most part the best offense is to just ignore them.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        leapfrogging the bot

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        bump

Jaybee

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'm starting to feel like a spammer myself.

Jaybee

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I think this one is a dropout from the Pacific Rim hacking contingent that apparently for years has been hacking major government departments.

He probably couldn't figure out how to hack so he decided to just be a spammer and send out bots on a regular basis.

One of my high school teachers once observed that everyone has the same 24 hours in a day; it's how we use it that counts.

I think the epitaph for this spammer (and/or the idiots behind the bot) could be that he/she/it wasted life by spamming instead of doing something productive.

Not much of a legacy for something as precious as life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        It might be paying his bills though. {I just bump them 99% of the time}. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1550 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        The spammers should pay for the salve and band-aids we need from doing all this bumping.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since it totally obvious which ones are spammers, I'm starting to not really care to much. I just don't like seeing them highlighted as the top post in a category.

Jaybee

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I'd like to arrive at the point that it doesn't bother me to see spammers, but I do resent their pollution of a valuable site, and blantant flaunting of the terms and conditions of service without any repercussions.

Some of my posts have been blocked simply b/c of triggering words, yet these nuisances blather on endlessly without any web host action.

I liken them to the folks who walk their pets without bringing waste bags, and just let their pets go wherever it suits them, leaving the mess for the homeowner to clean up.

The French have a verb which I think of occasionally: bavarder. As I learned it when I took French, it not only means to chatter, but to chatter endlessly without saying anything worthwhile. That sums up their individual and collective posts. In less eloquent terms: blah, blah, yap, yap, yap.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, that's a more graphic description, but I think generally we're addressing the same problem: yap, yap, yap with nothing substantial said.

If you want to impress people with your international flair, you can tell someone:

Vouz bavardez toujours. It's pronounced:

Voo (as in voodoo) bah (as in bah humbug) -var-day' too-jour' (last syllable rhymes with "sure")

(accents are on the last syllables).

Then watch their faces express confusion as they wonder what you just said to them. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        Orly. there's a song about that, based on the chimes. ding ding ding, planes are going up. ding ding ding, planes are going down.

for that's the site of the international airport, where Lindbergh landed to make it the first international airport in history.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post