All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  DIY Redesign    Long term project
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Long term project Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So here I sit, the city with charging me with a misdemeanor because I have not completed the exterior of my home in what the city feels is a timely manner.

So, here is the deal. Be careful of how large your DIY project is and that you can complete it in a timely manner. For me, yeah too big.

I chose to add a new entry way and full second story to my home. Along the way I am updating all of the Sewer, water, heating, air conditioning and electrical. I pulled the permit 2006 but did not really begin the project until the spring of 2007.

Progress continue, watch it here: My Renovation

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keith Joyce,

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry you got caught by that but you can't really blame the city. 7 to 8 years of constant construction and/or tarp covered areas become an eyesore that your neighbors should not have to look at.

Think of it as an incentive to concentrate on the exterior and get it done. Possibly consider hiring professional help to make things move faster. The city is not interested in fining you, they are just trying to get you to complete the exterior.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well, I am on a fixed income, hiring a contractor is not in the budget. There have not been tarps on the house for years, just tyvek as work on getting the windows installed in the addition.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        well, the Tyvek guys say after 6 months in the sun, it's shot. I'd say get after it now and be done with it. vinyl siding goes up fast once you get the starter strip on and get after it. get the outside enclosed and repermit the interior work still unfinished.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Windows still need to be installed and vinyl does not install well in the winter. Besides I am using cement board siding with PVC trim.

posted Hide Post
        Spend less time on your internet -- more time on getting the exterior done. Plumbing and electrical upgrades can be done after you make the exterior presentable to the neighborhood

Posts: 984 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post