All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  DIY Redesign    "Posting Guidelines" ???
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

"Posting Guidelines" ??? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Rich73Kelly
        posted
        Hope I am posting this in the right place ...
        How do I get rid of the "Posting Guidelines" tab on the right side of the screen under "Advertisement" ??? It stays on top and covers any part of the first post that may go that far over.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Posts: 54 | Location: Neenah, WI USA | Registered: Apr 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        This is usually only a problem when someone posts a large picture. Do this:

Click on the 'tools' bar at the top of the post. Click on "printer friendly format'. You can now see all the print plus the picture.

Jaybee

Posts: 10454 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        this is something that the world-hated IE6 browser can magnify into an issue. nobody works around its flaws any more.

download another browser. IMPHO the Firefox crew has lost sight of the objective and can't fix some simple and obvious flaws any more. I'm using Chrome when I leave the office. Safari is also reliable. both are built from the same basic tools. IE10/11 from Windows 7 or 8.x is also stable and renders website code well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Rich73Kelly
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, I will try this.
        Swschrad, My OS is still XP Home so, I am somewhat limited on options for browser upgrades. I have IE8 installed but a lot of programs pop up a statement saying to upgrade from 6. I don't know what the deal is there. I had Firefox installed for a "change" and found it to be a resource hog. I then installed Chrome and use it for the bulk of my browsing, only using IE for Microsoft or, Windows sponsored/based sites. I have yet to try Safari.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Posts: 54 | Location: Neenah, WI USA | Registered: Apr 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        /geek on ... many browsers identify to a website as a slug of browsers (IE8, IE6, etc.). the old pattern of web designers was to try and implement a bad structure, find out what the error returned was, and tailor some pieces of code to that browser.

it's cumbersome and it's not happening any more. designers have just ditched supporting anything that responds with IE6 anyplace in the browser string under higher level HTTP code, or doesn't respond to that HTTP 3+ request.

as for XP... if you're on the web with it, you just took the first step into quicksand. move up to Windows 7, download the compatibility test (while you still can), there are OEM versions for legal sale from various legitimate vendors. practically, an older computer on XP cannot upgrade to Windows 8.anything.

/geek.off ... XP is dead and the burial is April 8th. the hack-vultures are circling in the trees. upgrade the OS or replace the computer.

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Swschrad, I knew that Windows was going to discontinue to "support" XP, home and Pro, but what exactly does this mean beyond the fact that updates won't be provided? Does it infer that Norton won't protect XP versions either and they'll be totally vulnerable to attack?

Any clarifications?

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        support for everything from hardware to software will evaporate over a year or two. the big one is targeting of 0-day exploits. it takes days to weeks for the antivirus guys to catch up with them, and if the fix is specific to only XP, maybe not at all.

there is a lot of talk about embedded operations stuff over on Slashdot lately... things like XP controllers for production, water treatment, manufacturing equipment. the general idea is that starting now, get that stuff off the Internet, no flash drives, etc. any machine that is an unconnected island will not be affected... until the repairman shows up with his laptop Wink

old joke... the only way to have a secure computer is to dig a 60 foot vault, ten feet of concrete for walls and floor. put in the computer. no wires. flood the vault with concrete. put crew-served weapons on top, and guard forever.

but rolling in the security patches and keeping the AV and blocking software upgraded helps, along with not surfing to any racy sites.

there have been fewer 0-day attacks on the loose lately. speculation I see from security types (fifth hand) is that the weasels are disassembling security patches, testing hacks against what is being fixed, and banking exploits to start rolling out perhaps weeks or months after XP support dies on the 8th.

happy side note... practically all ATMs and point of sale stuff at checkout lanes is running on XP. $200 per machine per year for large Microsoft corporate accounts for a special patch service, which may or may not be around for 2 years.

XP has been around for 13 years, in an industry where OS replacement occurs every 2-4 years to keep the cash flowing. it's as obsolete as building barns with square pegs instead of nails.