DIY Message Boards
Am I alone?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3811916776/m/9023964747

Aug 16, 2011, 09:38 AM
CCMax
Am I alone?
Am I alone wanting to discuss sewing and quilting projects? I know that there are lots of people now that don't sew but I teach home schooled girls basic sewing skills so maybe the next generation will not have lost all the skills needed to sew. I am interested in what projects other people are working on.
I am disappointed in DIY and HGTV both as they seem to have dropped all the programing for sewing and crafts. Sometimes you can find one on early in the morning (I record those to watch during the day) but nothing new.

I am so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
Sep 01, 2011, 11:38 PM
Shelant
Hi CC: I just got back on DIY after being off a few years and was shocked to see only one post (yours) on "Sewing". Where did everyone go......I used to do a lot of sewing but except for mending and altering my own clothes I haven't done much for a long time. I was interested in making some baby headbands for my great grandaughter. I have seen some of the cutest ones made with flowers and glitter and feathers and thought I would get some ideas.

Later,
Shelant
Sep 11, 2011, 09:40 PM
beers1
if you google baby headbans you will get more ideas and instructions than you know what to do with them.
the DIY web site is not what it used to be.
Sep 17, 2011, 07:07 PM
janet5
There are hardly any sewing or quilting shows on tv any more on any station. They are really missing the boat because quilting is big business. My husband told me to check and see if I could sign up for one of the renovation shows to build the quilt room of my dreams. He said "I haven't seen them do one of those yet"
All I can find are man cave shows looking for people! I say "Man caves, schman caves we need some woman caves!"
Sep 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
crafdragon
I don't think you're alone!! I have not had internet for about 8 months so have been absent form here.
As for sewing programs I find 2 local channels that are public access in my area show sewing and craft shows a few times a week. I am in WA state, near Spokane. So for you all who have nothing check the listings for local channels Smile OK?
I have been working on pet toys for my crazy playing dogs. They tear them up eventually, but that's what dog toys are for in my opinion! I just decide on a shape say a circle, then cut that out of old jeans-heavy denim lasts longest, turn right sides together leaving a space to turn it. Then turn it right sides out, fill with fiberfil or whatever filling I'm using, sew closed and the toy is ready. If I am feeling like it I will add fabric eyes from scraps, but it's pretty basic. The same thing is nice from better fabric with details for human children too! Scraps can come in handy for little dolls like that, gingerbread people...

Janet Smile

Rubberstamping makes the world more colorful!!
Oct 04, 2011, 12:47 AM
crafdragon
Aw, now I'm alone here!! What's up with that?? Roll Eyes

Janet Smile

Jan 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
TriniR
Don't leave! I love to sew. Right now I'm trying to hand quilt a top my grandmother and mother made for my daughter. They started before I even knew that I was pregnant! She's 18 now and impatient for me to finish. Smile
Oct 31, 2012, 09:09 PM
WendyWW
There is an awesome and very active sewing support board at http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php. Unfortunately, they have been down the last 24hrs, maybe as a result of Hurr. Sandy.
Nov 24, 2012, 11:38 PM
crafdragon
I am here occasionally still. I no longer have my sewing programs as when they went to that digital junk I lost it all with the new antennae and converter box Frown But I still love to sew Smile

Janet Smile

Nov 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
TriniR
CRAFTDRAGON, Sorry to hear you lost sewing shows. Do you ever watch them on the internet?
Nov 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
BigDogLou
In the midwest, on PBS there are some sewing shows on Saturdays, late morning/early afternoon.

PBS is good!
Dec 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
crafdragon
Hi TriniR, I can only watch internet videos after 11PM. So not awake enough at that time, but we get shut down by the internet service after a certain amount of time. From 11PM to 4AM there is no limit so that is when we can download or look at videos.

So yes I do in the middle of the night when I can Smile I also have a few in DVD and VHS when they were on I recorded some. It's the same shows over and over but it's almost like having somebody to sew with, LOL! I do scrapbooking and other crafts too and have some videos of those subjects too. I think I just love most crafts Big Grin

Janet Smile

Apr 26, 2013, 04:51 AM
EchoLin
You are not alone, i like talking about sewing and quitting with you, though, i'm not good at it, but i'm interested in it.