All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    painting alum ball bat
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

painting alum ball bat Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I bought a used alum. Softball bat for my daughter to use. Course its chipped and scratched, etc. I was thinking about sanding it down and repainting it. What kinda of prep work and type paint should I use? I was thinking of an enamel or epoxy appliance paint for a tough finish, but she wants it purple. I heard lacquer gives good hard coat, but I’ve never used lacquer before.

Posts: 215 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Pro paint store will help.

I once painted aluminum walkers and canes (decoratively). I took a leg section to the local Sherwin Williams and they tested a few primers on the aluminum for me. It took a very stinky primer, but that was the key to the paint job. The top coat is very secondary.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, did you use stencils or was the art work done by free hand? Any photos you'd care to share? I'm trying to convince my 94 year old father to use a cane, post hip fracture, and had been trying to think of ways I could decorate it so it would be a showpiece or attraction instead of just an assistive device. I had been thinking of using some military decals, or gluing on some photos of WWII planes.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Actually I did free hand art work on the canes (many were wooden, so no paint issue). The alum walkers were just plain painted and decorated. (I did a black "night walker" with pearls and sequins/pins attached)And a hunting walker (camouflage painted). They were very tongue in cheek, and sold quickly, so I unfortunately kept no images.

You could decorate with any stickers/ribbons and such, just make sure to do several coats of a clear coat varnish to seal and protect.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        At the time I did these, I was approached by a couple nursing homes who wanted me to do a class in the decoration of canes/walkers. My suggestion to them was to just prime them to paint on, or use adhesive tapes, ribbons, any thing flat to add some color and individuality. A fun project for either residents or their family members.

(At the time most all the walkers were just the gray aluminum and often residents would get them mixed up.) Then the fancier, colored aluminum was used more and that helped individualize them too.

posted Hide Post
        back to the baseball bat, talk to an auto body shop about what type primer and paint you need. There are special primers for aluminum as well as paints. Of course you could just paint it any old way, depending on how well she hits Big Grin

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry, Dazed, but no matter what paint you use, you still wind up with an illegal bat. Painting a softball bat is against the rules (google it). Even if your daughter's softball league would allow it, someone is bound to make a stink (especially if she hits well).

Posts: 78 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Conrad:
        At the time I did these, I was approached by a couple nursing homes who wanted me to do a class in the decoration of canes/walkers. My suggestion to them was to just prime them to paint on, or use adhesive tapes, ribbons, any thing flat to add some color and individuality. A fun project for either residents or their family members.

(At the time most all the walkers were just the gray aluminum and often residents would get them mixed up.) Then the fancier, colored aluminum was used more and that helped individualize them too.

Thanks for the info; I think that's a good idea to help identify the assistive devices used by residents at nursing facilities, especially if the residents decorate them themselves.

I haven't seen any of the colored ones yet, but we have a supply of various devices and won't need any more (hopefully) for quite awhile.

Sounds like you've had some experience with nursing homes

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:

Sounds like you've had some experience with nursing homes

Not so much back then, but as an artist...we would get hit on for all kinds of "volunteer (or low pay) opportunities".

You would not believe how many times we would get called to donate our artwork in the gallery. Often public was unaware that we cannot take a tax write off on retail...only the canvas, paint used, purchased frame, etc if we have receipts. Our time and skill is not a valid deduction. But we often donated anyway, if the cause was worthy enough.Wink

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, if I understand correctly, only the costs of materials and supplies can be considered deductible as charitable contributions, not the labor? I wasn't aware of that and am glad you shared that information.

After I retire, I planned to design, make and donate art quilts to charity. Although I haven't done any research on this yet, it's very helpful to know that time is not a "donatable" commodity, other than for the good will it brings.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Yes unfortunately even a professional artist's skill/time is not tax deductible as a donation. Most people are unaware, so glad to shed some light on it.

The way artists can get around this (to some extent anyway) is to legitimately purchase each others work, then with this receipt we can donate others art work for the full purchase price deduction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

posted Hide Post
        I only saw one site that says its illegal to paint a bat because ppl are taking a high quality banned bat to make it look like a regular one. Every other hit told you how to paint it. All I want to do is take this beat up used bat and make it look decent.

posted Hide Post
        also if it matters, she's 7 and this is her first softball year. I really don't think an ultra style bat would do her much good....

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Then I would pick a good quality spray paint in a color that she likes, give it sever thin coats with good drying time in-between and head out to the ball field.

Jaybee

Posts: 10127 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Dazed.. I have seen two 7-8 year old girls that hit better then the 8-10 year old boys. So if she smacks the paint off of it, don't look so surprised.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It took a lot of digging, but I finally dig find some mention to modified bats (assuming painting) is not allowed. Of course I received no response from any emails, but wasn't expecting any. She's actually likes it as is, so I'm not going to bother.

The number one reason for banning "modified" bats is because ppl has taken a superior banned bats and paint to match a bat that is allowed.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Dazed, thanks for the update. It's nice when someone follows up on an issue and shares the benefit of research and experience.

posted Hide Post
        Painted bats are illegal at all levels because the paint obscures the stamp or certification that all bats must display. Also, if you paint it improperly, transfer from the bat to the ball will eventually make the ball unplayable. Just some observations from an umpire.

Posts: 835 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post