All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Problem matching original color
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Problem matching original color Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm doing some touch-up painting on walls I freshly painted 2 years ago. I'm using the same paint (out of the same cans), an interior acrylic latex in a "heavy cream" color. The paint seems fine (i.e., no obvious effects of time), but, when applied, it does not exactly match the original paint. The touch-up paint is lighter. This is true anywhere in the house, regardless of the exposure of the original paint to sunlight. Even several weeks after the touch-up has been applied, it's lighter; so it's not a matter of letting the paint cure. Any way to correct this?

Posts: 97 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        welcome to the wonderful world of dirt. do you cook? burn candles? smoke? these are the kinds of things that settle on the wall and darken the paint. short of a full repainting, that's what ya got.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5864 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yup. If you want a perfect match at the very least you need to paint the entire wall into the next corner. As you have found, even the same paint will change color over time.

Jaybee

Posts: 10499 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Before I paint a wall, I always clean it (duh), and I can readily see the difference: cleaned vs. not-yet-cleaned. Here, I can clean the wall till the cows come home, and there's no clean spot vs dirty spot. So, I don't think the darker area is dirtier while the newly painted area is lighter because it is cleaner. I do think it is possible that both the paint on the wall and the paint remaining in the can may change. Another possibility is that the darker area has quietly, even furtively, gone over to the dark side while the paint in the can is pale because, after all, it has been kept in a can. But none of that helps.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you've got the can, and the color recipe, so get another gallon and blow an hour rolling the wall. that's all it will take. stuff happens. work around it.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5864 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post