All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    painting brass ceiling fan
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

painting brass ceiling fan Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have some brass on my ceiling fan I want to paint ,do I need to sand first or primer, if so
        what grit sand paper,what kind of primer.

Thank you

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yes, you're going to have to sand , prime, then paint.Remove the metal parts if you're able or mask it well if you can't remove it
        I would use 400 grit wet or dry paper with water as the lubricant, unless the brass is on the motor. If that's the case, then sand it with no lubricant
        For a primer, I would use a primer that is made for metal and can be found in any auto parts department.
        Then spray paint

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        some home paint sprays don't like auto primer, and vice versa. stick with one source or the other. I think an auto enamel will be a harder finish, considering the environment it was designed to perform in.

don't get paint inside the motor, it mungs up the heat dispersal.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I painted our brass bedroom ceiling fan and our shiny brass hanging chandelier light in the kitchen dining area, both a neutral white. Painted out the brown wood tone, fan blades many years prior to a white.

What I did was wipe the brass surface down with a damp microfiber to remove any dust. (The kitchen one, I did wipe down with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was clean of any grease/oil from cooking) Remove the bulbs and any glass globes, tape off any areas to keep paint free, like around where the fan attaches to the ceiling. I may have used Zinser 1 2 3 primer, as it is my only in home primer for most projects, but then again I may have just painted the cleaned metal.
        I found sponging it on with a sponge paint brush worked quite well (also just a bit of a corner of a regular sponge for tight spots). Covered all the surfaces evenly, and it does takes a while (stayed away from vent holes, as you can see). After it was dry, I used airbrush paint mixed in a small jar, also dabbed on with a sponge. Mixed it just a bit off white for a contrast to the first coat. These lights do not get handled, so I was not so concerned about clean ability. I did these about 6 years ago or so, and they have held up just fine.

It made the ceiling fan pretty much blend away to the ceiling, and modernized the kitchen fixture a bit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        ceiling fan. I had painted the blades many years ago prior to the brass metal fan, and did remove them to do the priming and painting. The fan itself, I just worked off a step ladder, and managed to reach everything just fine.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        kitchen light,
        The only reason I used airbrush paint is it has very fine molecules, not thick like craft paint, and it both covers well and it adheres really well. Plus I just have it around for restoration projects so it was handy.
        I don't know if you can see it or not, but I used just two very close to the same white colors, sponged on the brass. And in some places I let just the tiniest hint of the metal show through for a hint of sparkle.

posted Hide Post
        Is it real brass or painted.?

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Is anything "real" solid brass anymore? Well... maybe some expensive plumbing parts possibly or very old lamp parts.

Pretty certain that any ceiling fan or modern light fixture just has a thin, brass plate coating.

posted Hide Post
        Your right... But one tarnishes and one doesn't.?

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Either solid brass or thin brass plating can tarnish, in my experience. Most of the modern coatings also are coated with a clear sealant that keeps tarnish from occurring, at least for a while. If it is handled a lot or aggressively cleaned it can be rubbed off with use.