All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Picnic Table Legs and supports - stain/finishing question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Picnic Table Legs and supports - stain/finishing question Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Strez
        posted
        Had a cousin that harvested a couple of mature cedar trees for me that were cut into 5/4-sawn boards. While these beautiful boards are great for table and bench tops, I am concerned with the strength of the legs with those cedar boards being shy of 2" thick. For strength I used pressure treated 2x4's for the legs and supports - my question is can I get suggestions on how to finish the pressure treated legs and supports so that their color is not too off from the natural red cedar coloring? I was planning to finish the table and bench tops with a clear waterproof finish (varnish/shellac/polyurethane) but would like for it not to look too mismatched between the two very different woods. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards,
        Steve

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you want a perfect or even close match, you need to make your legs out of redwood.

Aside from taking the stain differently, the pressure treated pine will have a vastly different grain pattern compared to the fairly smooth and almost grainless redwood. This means that even if you could find a stain color to come close to the redwood finish, the variances in the PT grain will make it look different.

As an aside, be aware that unless you used a kiln-dried PT product, that you will need to wait several months to give the wet PT wood a chance to dry out before staining.

Jaybee

Posts: 10424 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Perhaps you could wrap a stronger material (metal or hardwood) with the cedar to form the legs.

Posts: 320 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Strez
        posted Hide Post
        Most appreciate the info folks - an thanks for the heads up on the pressure treated stock. I had noticed it had almost a dampness to it and really had not given it a lot of thought.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post