All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Behr Ultra
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Behr Ultra Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We purchased the Behr Ultra Paint and Primer to paint all the trim. We washed the trim, sanded, washed off the dust and then painted. There is a section that didn't cover well even with 4 coats. When we bought the paint we were told if it didn't cover well bring it back for an exchange. The person at the counter gave us an attitude and said we should have primed first with Kilz. We bought the paint with primer so we didn't have to prime the trim. Should we still have primed the trim? 95% of the trim came out great with 2 coats.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sorry you had a bad time @NormaJean, the wife and I just took back a rose tree that winter killed and the HD looked up our receipt from sales history, and refunded our money without a hassle.

you can get a little relief knowing the snarler will get extra attention from management... enter the code on the bottom of your receipt in their online survey, answer honestly, and in the blank box explain exactly what happened to you. those entry codes are tagged for store and purchase, and I wager somebody will be giving you a call to make it good.

I'm just another customer, but the stores I go to, they're still happy to see customers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5484 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I was going to do that but I think I will either call or go back and speak with a manager. It was like being scolded by mother the way she was speaking to me.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        They should not have given you an attitude - home store employees rarely know very much about the products that they sell. While the 'ultra' paints give good coverage and are self priming, that priming ability refers to depth of coverage.

Making an educated guess that your old paint was a oil based product. The latex-based Ultra paint will not bond to oils without an intermediate step. Kils, Bin or an oil based primer that is compatible with latex paints will work. Without a separate primer like this, no latex paint will stick.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        right away, first step, when an apron gives you a hassle, go to the service counter and take it up with a manager.

first, the discipline issue will be taken care of.

second, they should be able to find a person who can really fix your issue, and if not, gladly refund your money.

third, you don't have time to sit and stew about it, which is not good for you, either.

some oil paints are better than others at coexisting with other stuff. you can't assume the one you have is a happy paint. nice sticky primer, the type that ruined my $600 glasses, cures many ills.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5484 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You shouldn't have to prime anything when using a paint with the primer already in it. In cases like this, sometimes it's good to bring in pictures of what you're talking about so the salespeople get a better understanding of the issue. And salespeople like the one you had to deal with belong in the back doing inventory. She didn't sound like a people person.

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post