All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Magnetized Paint + Dry Erase Paint
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Magnetized Paint + Dry Erase Paint Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Any experience using Rustoleum's magnetized paint as a base coat with dry erase paint over it to create a magnetic white board on the inside of cupboard door? I wonder if the magnetized paint will hold anything besides an advertising magnet? Does the white dry erase paint cover the dark magnetized paint without multiple layers of paint which may interfere with the magnetized layer?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I've used them both and while they technically do work - they do not work very well. The magnetic paint created a VERY weak metallic bond for a magnet. You can expect most to just fall off. The dry erase and chalkboard paints will make poor quality excuses of those respective surfaces. They will accept marker or chalk writing OK, but do not clean off very well at all.

They work so poorly that we had one project where we were trying to highlight these type products by making an office with all three types of 'project boards'. To make things work we had to shift gears and use a metallic sheet, a coated white masonite board for dry erase and a regular chalkboard material.

My opinion, formed from actually using this stuff is to forget it and get the real material.

Jaybee

Posts: 10292 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I would not count on it either. For less money than the paints, just have galvanized sheet metal cut to size and double stick tape attach to inside of your cabinet. You can even cover with fabric, contact paper or paint if you want.
        On another cabinet cut a piece of the white board (the plastic shower wall pieces 4x8 foot sheet for about 10 dollars) can work for a white/dry erase board, if you cannot find one the right size/dimensions.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I was skeptical, and these responses clarify it for me. My husband had suggested the galvanized metal, and now I'll tell him his solution trumps mine :-)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I think you will be happier, and also much easier to reverse the decor, should you or anyone else wanting to do so.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you are going to paint the galvanized sheet make sure to clean it real good with white vinegar before you apply the primer so it will stick to the surface.

Posts: 756 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post