All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    staining deck
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

staining deck Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I put deckover on my deck, in july 2013 and it lookED good I followed direction to a tee until the snow went away it looks so bad as if I never put it on. I also went on behr facebook page and there were lots of unhappy people with photos just like mine. from last summer.
        Do you know a good product that has solid colors you recommend.
        Please no deck restore tried it, like sand paper on the feet

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        A solid stain should not have been used on deck boards, it's just going to wear off in no time.
        It would all have to be sanded off to bare wood to redo it now.

joecaption

Posts: 18036 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        The Flood company makes a really good solid color wood stain. Lasts about 5 years on decks....15 years on vertical applications of siding or fencing.
        Surface should be clean, dry and not peeling.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        all of the "restoration" products are packed full of filler, to try and cover gaps and cracks and the like.

the deck is what it is. best advice is start simple... use deck wash, or if that doesn't clean the mess up, a pressure washer of moderate PSI, and keep sweeping it so you don't blast off wood. once dry, sand if it's rough (a belt sander is nice, but you must keep it moving.)

my preference is for penetrating oil stains on wood. anything else is really thick or thin paint. penetration oil stain goes below the surface and offers some protection when the pretty gets spotty. at which point, you restain it. one year to three years depending on weather and exposure.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        And this is only one page...
        https://www.google.com/search?...ome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

They don't honor their warranties.....

Posts: 899 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post