DIY Message Boards
Covering Crackle paint

This topic can be found at:

Jan 04, 2014, 10:42 AM
Covering Crackle paint
We had a tenant who thought it would be OK to crackle paint a small bathroom without asking. Eek

If I prime over it, will that be enough to fill in the "crackle lines" and give me a smooth surface?

I can patch small holes in drywall, but I doubt I could do a good skim coat myself. I'm trying to stay away from that and that mess.
Jan 04, 2014, 12:15 PM
Your ex tenant is about to be come your least-favorite person ever.

There is no easy fix. No amount of paint will cover the crackle finish to make it go away. In fact, if you put too much paint on there it is likely that the crackle will start to peal and make it look even worse.

There is no easy way to scrape it off without damaging the drywall underneath. It is possible to sand that crackle smooth, but it will still need a skim layer both to fill any remaining cracks and to fix the inevitable damage to the drywall from the sander.

A skim coat of drywall mud and then paint or applying a paintable wallpaper liner are about your only options short of removing all the drywall and starting over.

The only 'simple' thing to get rid of the crackle would be to cover over it with a textured paint finish - which would look even worse than the crackle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jan 04, 2014, 12:48 PM
Crackle can also vary a lot in the amount of texture. Some is just more visual than actually rough.
I have seen some on furniture that is actually very smooth, and although a couple coats of primer may not cover the texture completely, it might be worth a try at least in one area?
Jan 04, 2014, 08:22 PM
I assume when you write that you "had" a tenant that the tenant has gone? If not and you have a security deposit, and if your lease prevents (crackle) painting, use the security deposit to help remedy the situation.
Jan 05, 2014, 03:58 AM
The crackle stuff seems tight to the paint underneath and the cracks are not that deep. But it is very noticeable because she painted a white or beige over a red-purple. The paint covered areas are an ugly mixture and the red-purple cracks show right through.

I'm pretty resigned to having to skim it. I'm just a little curious about something like Peel Bond. It's suppose to fill in and build where paint has peeled. I don't know if it would fill in the "crackles"?
Jan 05, 2014, 04:15 AM
Might also check with a pro paint store like Sherwin Williams/Benjamin Moore? If there was a product that could more easily fill the ridges, they are apt to know or at least advise?
Jan 05, 2014, 04:18 AM
The tenant is gone. She said point blank she wasn't even asking for her security deposit back. There is a good chance we are going to have to replace carpeting though in areas where there are pee stains from the pet she wasn't suppose to have but obviously did. If that doesn't come clean and we have to replace it, I'm sure that will eat up her security deposit. We aren't really making money off of it. It's a big bother.
Jan 05, 2014, 11:41 AM
It's unfortunate that your tenant had such a negative attitude, but unless you go after her legally, the best thing to do is move on.

Good luck with your improvements, and hopefully your next tenant will be more responsible.
Jan 05, 2014, 08:00 PM
maybe 1or2 coats of an oil base primer would do the job and a coat of paint. I know Sherwin has oil primer and a very good one. I used it and the dry time is shorter than it used to be. it sure is less work than skim coating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beers1,
Jan 05, 2014, 09:15 PM
If you don't get satisfactory results with priming, you could install a wallpaper underliner over the mess. This is a heavy, paintable paper that will smooth over paneling and even cinderblock to allow you to install wallpaper if you wanted, or just paint it. There will be seams, and the will likely show through the paint.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.