DIY Message Boards
removing wallpaper to be able to paint the walls

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3391013504/m/5723910377

Aug 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
ddort_granny
removing wallpaper to be able to paint the walls
I am removing the wallpaper with just water, the top piece comes off with no problem but it leaves the underside of the wallpaper still on the wall. Now is where my problem begins, I spray it with water, scrape it off but the paper that is on the drywall is coming off with it and it is leaving little torn pieces. Will I be able to cover this if I paint using a sponge scrupltered roller? I really don't want to put the "sand" in the paint. I don't know what to do.
Aug 13, 2013, 04:30 PM
Jaybee
Once you get down to the finish layer of the drywall then you are into some drywall repair before repainting. It's pretty common if the wallpaper was not installed over primer or sizing for it to damage the drywall surface when it's removed.

It will take a couple of skim coats of drywall compound to prep it for painting. If the entire room is damaged it may actually be easier to replace all the drywall. You cannot skip this step - the damaged exposed drywall surface will soak paint up differently than non-damaged areas and make any paint job look blotchy.

Jaybee
Nov 27, 2013, 07:24 AM
travis holmes
very helpful, thnk you guys