DIY Message Boards
need help please

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3391013504/m/4923958077

May 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
pixykim
need help please
I'm repainting our bathroom finally only to find that there a lot of moisture on the existing walls. I bought bathroom paint but that didn't seem to cover the existing water marks. Any advice for a first timer?
May 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
GardenSprite
Was the moisture on before you painted or after? Is it seeping through the paint?
May 28, 2013, 01:43 AM
pixykim
It was there before. I painted one area and its seeping through already. I put like 4 coats and I can see the water marks again.
May 28, 2013, 08:08 AM
joecaption
Should have used a blocking primer first to seal the stains.
Zinzeer 123 works well.
If this is a ceiling you are using a flat paint, right?

joecaption
May 28, 2013, 04:16 PM
pixykim
It's all over the bathroom walls. Ceiling as well but I haven't gotten there yet. The paint they gave me at the hardware store is a satin. Due to it being a bathroom paint.
May 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
joecaption
Really should be buying your paint from a real paint store not a hardware store.
Bathroom paint does not need to be Satin. Any paint with M1 added to it can be "bathroom paint".
Any paint store or Home Depot has it in smaller packets for one gal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joecaption,

joecaption
May 28, 2013, 05:41 PM
swschrad
I think you also better get a fan in there to get rid of the moisture. run it when the lights are on, and run it at least 15 minutes after you take a shower. if you have one and it won't hold two sheets of TP against the grille when it's supposedly on, it's not a fan.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
May 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
GardenSprite
Is this high level of moisture a recent situation or has the bathroom always been like this? And have you just moved in?

You can also set bowls of baking soda or kitty litter in the bathroom; they'll help absorb the moisture. They're not a cure though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
May 29, 2013, 02:38 PM
pixykim
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try the primer sealer. I do have a fan, just installed a new one too. We moved in About 2 years ago and decided I didn't like the colors anymore about a month ago.
May 31, 2013, 08:58 PM
Times 5
Applying the proper primer is all and fine, but you're still going to have the issue of where that moisture is coming from in the first place. These are bathroom walls so the moisture is coming from one of water pipes. Properly installed pipes don't leak.