All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    How to remove old paint from Window frame and baseboards.
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to remove old paint from Window frame and baseboards. Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My family has moved into an older home (built in 1967)and we want to repaint everything. The house probably has been painted once or twice and that was more than 10 years ago. If you need me to I think i can post a picture of what the window looks like.

My dad says to sand it using a low grit, but it seems like nothing is really happening. When i sand, it does come off but not enough. It just seems like its really stuck into the wood. He says that I don't have to get the all the paint off, just sand it so that when we repaint it, the paint has something to stick to.

My question is can i use paint remover on the window panels and baseboards to remove the paint or am i just gonna have to suck it up and use a sander.( we use a sponge sander btw)

Also if i just have to sand a lite layer off should I use a primer and then paint it? We have used the Behr paint and primer in one and it seems to just peel off.

I hope my question makes sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CheyenneW,

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        paint stripper is the silver bullet for that old crud. it is likely to be lead based paint, so sanding is not your best option, especially inside.

the windows will come clean easier if you remove the stops, gently raise then pull out the window UNTIL you can see the sash cords on the sides... clamp the cords at the pulley so they don't fall with the sash weights deep into the wall... slip out the sash weights and remove the entire window. I would at once label each window on the glass with the location of the window. there is no hell hotter or more evil than being unable to find out which sashes those original windows belong to.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5472 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So my dad tells me that wood is basically rotten. Since we're painting the inside first couldnt i just put the remover on the part of the window thats inside the house.

He still feels that if all it needs is a lite sanding, not sanding it so that the paint comes off window. Basically to rough the paint as he would say. The paint isn't lead.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you need to sand it as all it would be to remove any loose or flaking paint and/or to smooth out any surface imperfections. Other than that, you an paint directly on top of the old paint (note that most latex paints will not paint well on top of old oil based paint so do a test patch)

There is no reason to remove all or even most of the old paint other than if there is so much build-up that the window sticks as it operates.

Jaybee

Posts: 10088 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Primer sticks really well to nearly everything that is not greasy/oily. So I would invest in Zinsser 1 2 3 for the coat between the old and new paint. Have it tinted, close to the finish coat and you may not need as many top coats to cover the surface.

swschrad and Jaybee gave you great advice. One other thing that sanding helps with is actually removing and loosening some of the old soil/waxes/grime and anything else that would keep the paint from sticking.

Posts: 6859 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Before using paint remover you must take a advice from the expert. you can make a contact with " Trevor Kurz " for expert advice.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Believe it or not the best stuff to use to thoroughly clean any wood surface prior to painting is plain white vinegar and hot water. This will remove any and all oils/grease, etc., from the surface; no chemicals, just rinse clean when done.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Simon Rex
        posted Hide Post
        Wood surface should be clean with hot water before repainting and do not use anything on wood for cleaning like chemicals it will damage the surface of wood. these are just suggestion you can consult any good painter so it will be better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Simon Rex,

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post