DIY Message Boards
need help with my walls...

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3391013504/m/3673971967

Mar 25, 2013, 02:37 PM
mireya
need help with my walls...
We would like to paint our walls in our new home but the problem is that our walls are the kind you can't paint. We have the non removable wallpaper boards in every room. What are my opinions?
Mar 26, 2013, 05:09 AM
joecaption
This happen to be a mobil home?
There's almost nothing that can not be painted with the proper prep work.
Do you have those plastic strips on the wall every 4'?

joecaption
May 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
Simon Rex
Why you cannot paint on your outer walls? For brick outer walls you can use the method of sand blasting to remove the older paint and may be wallpaper will create problem for that you need the expert advice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Simon Rex,

Melbourne home builders
May 13, 2013, 10:16 AM
Conrad
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Rex:
Why you cannot paint on your outer walls? For brick outer walls you can use the method of sand blasting to remove the older paint and may be wallpaper will create problem for that you need the expert advice.

ESL course needed?
And just shut down Simon's internet access for a start, then there might be time to study ESL?
May 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by Conrad:
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Rex:

ESL course needed?
And just shut down Simon's internet access for a start, then there might be time to study ESL?

Conrad, well said! After the ESL course, a course in understanding the difference between interior and exterior walls might help. How anyone can suggest wallpapering exterior and/or brick walls is beyond me.

And the OP asked for a solution, not a problem by using wallpaper to "create [a] problem".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
May 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
joecaption
I feel bad for the first time posters really trying to ask a question.
I'm pretty sure most of them move on after reading some of the off the wall reply.
I know I see them all the time on other web sites asking the same questions they do here.
Most other sites have monitors that boot out the spamers.

joecaption
May 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
GardenSprite
Joe, I think this is inevitable, as is the decline of this forum if the admins don't intervene.

The sites on which I've been that have effective spam control have voluntary monitors, posters who are regulars and are hired (?) by the admins to police the forum.

They post on a regular basis, catch spammers immediately and dispatch them to a spammer wasteland where hopefully they're consigned to read each other's bragging posts in broken English.

If DIY doesn't make some changes, I think these forums are eventually just going to be so full of spam that most of the posters will in fact go elsewhere.

I wonder if anyone has heard anything at all from the complaints about The Troll? Is DIY going to intervene? My complaints have remain unanswered. I'm trying the next step up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
May 15, 2013, 01:17 PM
swschrad
getting back to the original post... the type of wall material you have determines the steps you need to get paint to stick and last.

Joecaption's question gets to the heart of it, since he's a pro and has done everything at least twice... he suspects you have a certain kind of wallboard coated with Melamine... or, if a modular/mobile home, a plastic-coated material. one can be liquid-sandpapered, primed, and painted... the other may need actual sanding or a special primer. in both cases, you have to wash down the material with a TSP-ish material that is slightly acid to be sure to have a surface that primer, and paint, can stick to.

other option is to take a picture or two of the stuff to a REAL paint store, like Sherwin or ICI or Benjamin Moore, where they have real painters who have come inside with their expertise, and inservice training on how to make paint work. and every consumer and industrial coating from birdhouses to bridge girders. and nothing else.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
May 15, 2013, 05:36 PM
joecaption
The mobil homes I've lived in and worked on have what looks like vinyl wall paper attached to louon paneling.
It's can not be removed it's glued to tight to the wood.
There is no sanding it, only degreasing it.

joecaption