All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Painting Hardwood Floors
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Painting Hardwood Floors Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I moved into a home a couple of years ago that had wall to wall carpet. It wasn't in great shape but didn't want to replace it right away. Have since decided to pull the carpet up and found hardwood underneath although one of the bedrooms has black stains, I am assuming from pet urine. The rest of the rooms have beautiful floors. I was thinking about painting the floor in the bedroom because I am afraid that I won't be able to find hardwoods to match the rest of the house. How do I do this? I have never taken on a project like this and not sure where to start. I searched the internet and different websites and their seems to different opinions on how to do it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jenfrin,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        in the 3rd book of "Noway," and you won't find it in most bibles, it says, "Verily, man, he who paints hardwood floors is thrice a fool." paint is adding an ongoing maintence item that has to be done often. won't clean up well. peels. discolors if you walk in there after putting in a new blacktop driveway.

your mileage may vary.

I would first use some wood bleach on those areas, and see if they lighten up. if so, sand and see if you can resurrect the floor.

generally wood flooring is milled like it was a hundred years ago, and you could take out one piece by a cut down the middle and a little chiselling to start removing bad sections. take a chunk to the lumberyard and match it up. the wood is usually oak or maple, and a real lumberyard will have standard flooring for pickup.

worst that could happen? you have some locally made oddball stuff, and you take up that floor and put new stuff down. if it's apparently shot to you, can't hurt to fiddle with it for a couple of days and try to salvage it. a little judicious work with the table saw can make the edge that matches up with the hallway fit in case the milling is different. if I can figure that out, it's not that hard.

you've seen the third season of "Rehab Addict," by any chance, with a burned floor in one bedroom? the flooring guy cut out the 100 year old burn marks, set in new boards, masked them off, poly coated the older wood after sanding it all down, and next day stained the new wood to match the old by hand-mixing a stain. it's not a big deal to a pro, and a good DIYer can get close enough for (shutdown) government work. it does add labor costs, but restoration is done all the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5718 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you, swschrad. The more I searched on how to do it the less I wanted to paint the floors. I am going to see if I can lighten the black spots and if that doesn't work I will see about replacing the damaged boards. I did find pieces in the basement that must have been left over, so if I can't lighten them I can take the pieces to see if I can get a match. Thanks again for your advice.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        sand them thar floors. i say...sand them..if a litle darkness still shows. tell every body thats where al capone was shot...not thats where kitty peed
        older floors have a certain "character" about them, cause of the stains..makes them look better

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        good to hear you found some spare flooring. I always make sure I have at least an extra box when I'm done. drives the wife mad, I tell you MAD.

I gained a lot of peace after we replaced the patio door, and needed two widths of flooring to extend the dining room to the new one. yay!

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5718 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Urine stains on wood floors are the most difficult ones to remove, especially if they have become black with dirt. Black spots indicate that the layers of dried crystals of uric acid have been formed, as well as the timber was damaged as urine acids have burned tannin in it. UrineOff helps to completely remove the odor and dry layers of uric acid crystals after a few treatments. Nevertheless, the color of wood can not be restored. If the degree of discoloration is unacceptable, it is necessary to polish these places. In many cases, resurfacing can remove the layers of damaged wood to an acceptable level.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post