All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    How long should spray paint dry before applying wax?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How long should spray paint dry before applying wax? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just applied a light coat of black spray paint over an already black dresser to touch it up. I would like to use Minwax Paste Finishing Wax over it, but I'm not sure how long it needs to dry first. It's bright and sunny, hoping I don't need to let it dry overnight. Confused

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Is the dresser inside or outside, and where do you live? It was bright and sunny for a short while in my area, but the wind chill is also in the single digits. If it's bright and sunny in Florida or the South, that's another story. Cool

Knowing where you are will help others answer your question.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It will need a lot longer than overnight to wax. Several days at least. While spray paint may 'dry' in a few hours, it continues to dry for several days until it is hard. If you applied your coats of paint too thickly or if you applied multiple coats too close together, your dry time will be even longer. If you wax it too soon you will soften the surface and turn it cloudy.

Drying rates will vary greatly with temperature, humidity and thickness & number of coats of paint. Your safest bet is to paint something else at the same time as your primary project, then test a small area with wax.

Jaybee

Posts: 10381 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It is outside. I'm in San Diego - no single digits here. I applied a second light coat two hours later, I'll let it dry overnight. Jaybee, your idea is brilliant, I painted a space piece of wood that's drying with the rest.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        outta be dry by now....go ahead and wax it

Posts: 3916 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post