All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    help my house is all white
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

help my house is all white Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My apartment was recently repainted all white. I want to add color everywhere excpet the ceilings. Purple is my favorite color so I want to use that as the primary color. I need help incorporating it into all the rooms without making it too dark. All suggestions welcomed. My furniture is black in the livingroom, dark mahogonany with black accents in the master bedroom, and oak in the other bedroom. The bathroom has beige tiles.

SW

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Do you have written permission from the owner to do any painting?
        I know if one of my tenets ever painted without permission or painted it anything but a neutral color
        I'd be more then upset.
        Any really dark color like that is much harder to paint over and takes more steps to cover it.
        I would also think a dark painted room with dark furniture would make it pretty dark and uninviting.
        Some bright colored drapes, curtains, throw rugs could brighten up and give you some contrast.

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi there,

There are numerous ways that you can use to add colour to your house - some of them less invasive than others. For example, adding a few coloured cushions or rugs can transform the place!

I recently wrote a blog post about it. You can find it here: http://blog.hss.com/10-easy-wa...house-and-your-life/.

If you are worried about using too many dark colours, you can also find more information here: http://blog.hsssales.com/diy-i...colour-to-your-home/

Hope I managed to help! :-)

Posts: 1 | Location: Manchester, UK | Registered: Sep 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'm with Joe. I had to repaint my apartment years ago, the ceilings especially looked like somebody went over them once with a wet roller and never got it close to a paint tray again. I used a much better paint, but went only one shade yellower than the Factory Beige that was on there, and a nice white ceiling to match the building.

showed well 5 years later when I moved across the hall, and they had a good base for the factory stuff. if they could tell the difference, it's the same as cooking infiltration.

since they just painted it for you, they're not going to allow you any leverage. so tack up some serapes, free-in-the-frame art, photos, and use throw rugs, fleeces in diamonds over the chair backs, and white-back insulated drapes to set your tone and scheme. if you walk away and it's institutional-fresh, no problem.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5769 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        A trick people used to do in military housing was to cover the walls with fabric, large bed sheets work well. You soak them in liquid starch and apply it to the walls. Then when you're ready to move you wet it and peel it off the walls without any damage. Then you wash the walls and everything is back to normal for the landlord.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 742 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jack Humpries:
        Black for is great color on specially if you have a black furniture and other black stuff cause white and black are perfect combination in a home it is always matter of the light scheme.

All that black sounds like a perfect environment for Count Dracula, Halloween forthcoming or not. (P.S., Jack, don't forget the candles to lend an eerie atmosphere to your black dungeon.)

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Purple is one of the most difficult colors. But designers like to use it because the color can create a very spectacular interiors. Thus it helps to stimulate creative thinking, helps focus, calms nerves, improves mood.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would also avoid painting the walls and stick to fabrics like curtains and cushions and any other accessories you want to add.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You should choose a color to paint walls depending on the location of each room. In the south-facing rooms, wall colors may be more intense than in those with windows facing the north side. Walls in the rooms oriented to the north should be painted in bright colors to better reflect the incident sunlight from the window. The southern rooms to be painted in cool colors, for example blue, green, purple. For rooms facing the north , it is better to use shades of warm colors that will create indoor solar atmosphere - pink, yellow, gold , pink , yellow, yellow-green, and so on.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post