All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Can I paint this fabric?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Can I paint this fabric? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I was given a 14' church pew. The fabric is an awful red. I don't really know how to describe the material on the seat and back, except to say it's kind of a short nap furry material. Re-upholstering is way out of my league. Is it a good candidate to be painted?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Some kinds of fabric can be painted, with fabric paint, but to the best of my knowledge these are ornamental fabrics. I've painted on ribbon, but it takes some practice to get the right paint and the right fabric.

From your description the only thing I could imagine that could be applied to the fabric is spray paint. I'm not aware though if fabric specific spray paint is available.

Would you consider removing the fabric and restoring the pew?

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        Would you consider removing the fabric and restoring the pew?

Do you mean do away with the fabric altogether?

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, as you stated you don't like the fabric. I don't know of any way it can be painted without undertaking a laborious project, and even then I'm not convinced the paint would adhere to the fabric and hold up under wear and tear.

Perhaps one of the crafters here has another suggestion as to painting.

Seems to me there aren't too many options if you don't like the fabric and aren't comfortable with reupholstering, although you could put throws, afghans or quilts over the pew to cover up the unattractive fabric.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your advice. I think until I get a bit braver or can convince a friend to tackle it with me, afghans it is!

posted Hide Post
        Google it to replace the fabric and devote some time to read and study what you find .I get how to do project information from Google many times. i usually do the research way before I start the project so I can chew on it and my personal computer can digest it. you will be surprised the info that is available

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beers1,

Posts: 763 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you beers1, that's good advice. Smile

posted Hide Post
        It is really hard to give any suggestions without seeing the fabric. Can you please upload the picture of fabric?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bella1,

Bella Barrett

Posts: 2 | Location: 23 Hebbard Street CHELTENHAM VIC 3192 | Registered: Aug 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post