All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    Drywall Came Down With Wallpaper
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Drywall Came Down With Wallpaper Sign In/Join 
        posted
        When removing wallpaper, drywall came with it to the brown paper. I know to skim coat that area, but I am confused as I read one thing on several sites, and was told another by a Home Depot employee. I purchased an oil base sealer/primer that I thought I needed to apply to the drywall first as the joint compound has water and would cause the drywall to bubble, but the lady told me the compound would not stick to the sealer/primer-----------oil/water combo. Well the oil based sealer/primer would be dry. Isn't that what makes the difference? What is the correct way to do this? I have a good size area too---should we simply replace the drywall?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If it's a good sized area, just replace the drywall. Faster, easier and a much better looking job.

Skim coating is somewhat of a crapshoot as how much of the drywall layer peeled off is a huge variable. In some cases, you can skim without priming. Sometimes not. Some primers - either latex or oil based - will cause even more bubbling. it usually takes several applications of priming and skimming, then cutting out the bubbles that do appear before you can finally concentrate on skimming to build up enough mud to make it smooth.

Finally, forget advice from the HD employee. Most have no real knowledge of what they are selling and certainly are not experts in home improvement processes.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post