All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Painting    paint color choice for livingroom wall surrounding red brick fireplace
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

paint color choice for livingroom wall surrounding red brick fireplace Sign In/Join 
        posted
        1950's ranch with 12 x 18 ft livingroom, red brick fireplace on narrow wall opposite door entry area, two windows on a long wall, low light because of tree outside. Need to choose a paint color for livingroom that will "go" with RED brick, isn't painted brick but not the dusty pink colored brick you usually see; has cream grout. No intention of changing/demoing fireplace; house will be rental so want it attractive and inviting, not an eyesore as it is now. Was thinking of a darker color on the fireplace wall to complement/blend in and then lighter shade in rest of room, maybe entry door same dark color paint as fireplace wall to match and carry theme... Ideas anyone?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Usually safe with going with a color close to the grout color between the bricks. This should blend into the room fairly well. I would not do a darker color for an accent wall, but that is just me. (My feeling accent walls are getting to be rather "old school" at this point)

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Since you wrote that the grout was a creamy color, I'd use something in that color range as well. It will blend the walls with the tiny grout lines if possible and pull the room together.

If you use a darker color, I would assume that you have enough light to balance out the room so it doesn't appear too dark.

I'm not particularly partial to dark walls, but I also have small rooms in my house and they would make the house feel like a dungeon. So I like things light and airy.

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post