All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Sulphur smell well water
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sulphur smell well water Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We just moved into a new home with well water and it has a sulphur smell to it. The water was tested during hoke inspections and found to be safe so I think our problem is smell only.

The smell seems to only come with hot water and we have an older rental tank from awhr. I have read that the smell might be coming from bacteria in the water heater and replacing an anode can help. Instead do doing that I have the option of requesting a new tank and was wondering if it is possible that having a new tank installed would fix my problem?

If that doesn't work (or isn't recommended) am I correct in assuming that my next step would be to out chlorine in the well to shock it? Will that get rid or the smell? Is it a permanent or temporary solution?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        This site gives you some advice determining where the smell is coming from and possible solutions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_500957...mell-well-water.html

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 874 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Our fishing camp water supply [well] is loaded with iron. OK to drink, that is what we have been told anyway. That is why beer was invented. Duh. We lug jugs of water from the abode to do the cooking.
        The water stinks of rotten eggs like you state. Running the water would improve the smell, but while working somewhat in that situation it would cost you a fortune and be very wasteful indeed. Chlorine dumped into the system was tried as well and was a very short temporary solution to the problem.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        iron bacteria that release the sulfur into the water are a plague of many wells. you need to bring in a water pro who deals with this to quantify the issue and build a solution.

it is possible you will need a flushable sand filter in a bad case, which means among other things storing enough clean water to backflush the filter on a regular basis. there will also be odor and taste filters.

hint: if you get rust rings in the sink and toilet, you have it bad. sani-flush or another sodium bisulfite powder can cut the rings. but you can't use them for cleaning if you have an asthmatic in the house, the resultant gas will choke 'em to the floor. been there, done that, needed a day off.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post