All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    toilet flange to new basement floor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

toilet flange to new basement floor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        why is amy mattews from diynetwork doing different then what you said to leave room for floor.
        Do I install toilet flange first or tiles,I have new basement it was all poured for bathroom I have pvc pipe still sticking up through concrete floor , do I cut this flush to the floor and install flange first or tile first. is it 12 1/2 away from wall with flange bolts. And is there anything else I need to no.
        Thanks Linda
        This message has been edited. Last edited by: eyeliner66, Jan 06, 2014 10:19 AM

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 20, 2013 Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

Jaybee
        Picture of Jaybee

posted Jan 06, 2014 12:00 PM Hide Post

Toilet flange first. It should be set at a height so that the top of the flange is flush with or slightly above the top of the finished floor. If the center of the hole is 12-1/2" out from the framing than it's perfect - standard toilets are set 12" from a finished wall.
        amy Matthews
        http://www.diynetwork.com/how-...ro-toilet/index.html

she doing it different

Thanks linda

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it's somewhat hard to install a toilet flange after you set tile. but you have to know the finished height of the tile floor to set the flange correctly. so the way I've done it (existing flanges, so that is fixed, and I've had to use extender rings atop the flange) is to lay samples of the flooring material down, determine what is needed to get the flange to floor height, get that stuff, then lay the floor and bolster the flange.

obviously in new work, you need samples to determine how much pipe is needed to rise the top of the flange to the height of the tile. and then it makes all the sense in the world to have the flange roughed in before finishing the floor.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5483 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        there are 2 types of closet flanges for pvc pipe
        1 has the beval under the flange, where the horizontal flange meets the vertical riser of te flange, this closet collar will set abover the floor 1/4" due to the beval
        the other type is a flush fit flange
        it does not have this beval, the transistation is a true 90 degree making it possible for the flasnge to be flush to the floor
        the flush fit, is the type needed to be installed on a finish floor

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        flush fit, can be mounted flush on a tile leval floor
        a flange can be set so that the top of it is leval with finished floor or the top is 1/4" above the floor
        thats the "play" you have

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by eyeliner66:
        why is amy mattews from diynetwork doing different then what you said to leave room for floor.

amy Matthews
        http://www.diynetwork.com/how-...ro-toilet/index.html

she doing it different

Thanks linda

Several reasons for the difference. First, as Frodo points out, you can get flanges for either method. In normal 'real world' construction, all the rough-in plumbing is installed far in advance of any finish work like tile. The flange is sealed with a cap so the system can be tested and pass inspection. So for real construction the flange is almost always installed first.

On a TV show, realize that Amy is an actress who is working a compromise between the plumber who is installing everything and a TV taping schedule that is trying to squeeze all parts of a two-week long bath remodel into three days of taping. Both ways can work but it's never a good idea to use a TV how-to show as a tutorial for a remodel process. It's entertainment - no more than that.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post