All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Sizing Hot water heater
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sizing Hot water heater Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Remodeling masterbath, trying to estimate size of water heater to install. There was a 20 gal electric waterheater but this took up too much space. Was thinking about going tankless but have been warned against it. Nice to start wethe but with hard water, upkeep makes it expensive so I am told. Requirements would be for occasional bath, shower one person mornings one person nights and vanity periodically during day. Is there a magic formula? Or just old knowledge any help appreciated.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Was this 20 gallon WH just for this bathroom, or for the whole house? If it's the only one, then 20 gallons is too small. How big depends on how many people live in your house and how many faucets you have. Usually, 40 gallons is the smallest you can get away with if electric, 30 gallons if gas.

Again, if this is the only WH then I'd be looking for a different location that could hold a 40 gallon or more unit. Electric is cheaper than gas to install, but gas is much better to have in the long run - cheaper to run and faster recovery time.

Tankless can work for a point-of-use like the one bathroom, provided you can get the power there that you need. The advantage of tankless in this case would be the ability to fill the tub and having instant hot water to the bath location. As long as it's just supplying hot water to the tub and one sink a small tankless unit will work fine.

Still, I prefer a decent sized gas water heater for the whole house.

Jaybee

Posts: 10086 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        1 person 1 bath 1 40 gallon water heater.
        a 20 gallon will not let you take a long hot shower
        or a "guest" who wants a shower before she leaves..a thirty is ok but a 40 is better
        rule of thumb, 1 bath,kitchen, laundry, 40 gal
        2 bath 1 kitchen 1 laundry 40 gallon
        2 bath teenagers 2 40 gallons

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        20 gal was only for master bath. Mastersuite was an add on with its own water supply, due to roof structers water supply from main house hard to get to it.

posted Hide Post
        Thanks - not sure where I can hide a 40gal heater, the 20 was taking up space in closet area - needed that for vast amounts of shoes ..... not mine Smile
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        1 person 1 bath 1 40 gallon water heater.
        a 20 gallon will not let you take a long hot shower
        or a "guest" who wants a shower before she leaves..a thirty is ok but a 40 is better
        rule of thumb, 1 bath,kitchen, laundry, 40 gal
        2 bath 1 kitchen 1 laundry 40 gallon
        2 bath teenagers 2 40 gallons

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you can buy what is called a "low boy" water heater
        its a 40 gal elec that is approx 24" tall and 24" dia.
        stack the shoes on top of it! Wink

http://www.whirlpoolwaterheate...s/e2f40ld045v/?id=32

http://www.youtube.com/embed/vn7bkncf1_E

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Frodo, that will be easier to hide in a corner. Will research where to get one.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        now let me tell you the bad news
        a water heater can not go:
        understairs
        in a bathroom
        in a bedroom
        in the kitchen
        it can go:
        in the laundry room
        attic
        garage/on a min 24" platform
        a hall closet
        locations because of fire potential
        and elec hazards

posted Hide Post
        rats ... back to the drawing board. Time to get a plumber to come look and advise. Thanks for the info ... I had it nicely tucked away in a corner of the bathroom (in my mind that is).