All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Exterior faucets during frigid weather
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Exterior faucets during frigid weather Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        What options are available to protect my one exterior faucet during Arctic f-r-e-e-zes like we've just experienced, beyond having an interior shut-off valve and draining the faucet before winter?

I've had no interior plumbing lines f-r-e-eze, but was wondering about the line to the outside faucet since I forgot to drain it before winter arrived.

I've found some protective covers that look like bags fitted over faucets but they seem kind of thin and flimsy to me. Perhaps I could make one of some type of durable material, and line it with housing insulation??

I also found a modification,which if I understand its function correctly prevents any water frozen in the faucet from backing up into the interior plumbing lines.

Unfortunately, despite several attempts, the link won't work unless I reach it from a Google search. Nor can I copy the diagram. But it shows an anti-siphon valve just next to the exterior faucet, and outside the house. Wouldn't this require extending the length of the exterior pipe to accommodate the valve?

Also discovered that f-r-e-e is a triggering word for the *** substitution.

Jan. 9: edited to see if **** is still a trigger word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1737 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post