All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Broken shower arm
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Broken shower arm Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Shower arm broke and now the threaded end is in the pipe. I don't want to tear down the wall or call a plumber in hopes to avoid spending a lot of money. I have tried using a 10" file and hammering it in the broken pipe but the file keeps turning within the pipe. I have tried an internal pipe wrench but I can't seem to get it to "catch", just like the file. I have also tried using a flat head screwdriver, using it as a chisel, and a hammer but that didn't work, either. Any other suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Myron,

Consider using a metal cutting blade and a reciprocating saw and cut the pipe in the interior of the shower arm in 3 areas cutting just into the threads. Doing this you will end up with the pipe being cut so each 3 pieces which should allow you to pry each threaded section out of the pipe. When cutting just be careful to not cut too deep into the Female end receiving the shower arm.

Once the shower arm pieces are removed apply a good amount of pipe dope to the threads of the new shower arm so that it fills and cuts in the threads you may have made.

Others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Good luck trying that idea. More then likely it's going to leak.
        Let us know when you want to fix this right and not have wall damage that's going to involve a whole lot more work then a simple drywall repair.

joecaption

Posts: 17993 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        learned that internal-cut technique in the hospital. as joecaption says, it's strictly an emergency buy-time thing until you can shut the area down and do some proper plumbing.

in this guy's case, I would first insure the horseplay in the shower stops and/or install proper grip bars and get some grit tape on the floor for safety. then I would open the back of the wall, cut off the riser (or unscrew it if threaded pipe), get another drop-ell and backer board, and fix this right. leave an access panel hole instead of a shell hole when you start, and your repair of the wall is down to a little construction adhesive, an access panel, and some painters' tape to hold it overnight.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5488 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        amazon sells an "easy-out' tool kit for about $20. I think the sizes go up to 5/8 inch. If you heat the end of the pipe to expand it and break any rust or sealer loose ,then insert the tool, it will come out easy

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        nona, same thing as an "internal pipe wrench." the ones I'm familiar with are iron slugs with broad "wings" you hammer into a larger pipe, but there are wedgy things for smaller inner diameters. they are what 36 inch aluminum pipe wrenches are for, turning the devils Wink

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5488 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        nona..you amaze me with your rational and well thought out answers.. easy out..yep.. i agree
        if that does not work...you gotta cut the wall. if its
        a tile wall, cut it from behind the shower head. so you dont mess up the tile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post