All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Do I Need To Have This Pipe Replaced (on my Boiler)?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Do I Need To Have This Pipe Replaced (on my Boiler)? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I had to have a pressure valve replace on my boiler. I wasn't there, but he told my wife that a pipe should/needs to be replaced on the boiler because of the evidence that it has leaked. It doesn't seem to be leaking now. Does this need to be replaced? I am attaching two pictures, one wide and one close-up of the pipe. Thanks in advance!

pipe photo

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Looks more like electrolysis to me.
        It's caused from dissimilar metals coming in contact.
        It's going to eat at the weakest point first which is the treads.
        A brass or bronze nipple will take care of it.
        When you see the price of the fitting you'll see why they used steel.

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        yes it needs to be replaced. the corrosion you see is eatting the threads making the metal weak.it will start leaking. usually around 2 or 3 am, spraying water all over everything. till you wake up and find it.if its the basememt...you might not see the water for 24 hours...
        in which time all of your stored albums and christmass stuff will have turned into boats.
        grand mas pictures will be gone
        it would have beeen cheaper to have it replaced while the plumber was on scene
        now, he has got to come back and will charge you a "trip" charge. thats the 1st min hour charge

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3848 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well, to the plumber's credit, he came late to the appointment and ran out of time and said he would come back and not charge a trip charge. BUT, I thought that that electrolysis problem only happened on active plumbing lines. I was told when it was installed that because the boiler was a "closed system," that it wasn't necessary. Fact or Fiction?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: prattct,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Fiction
        It has nothing to do with what's running through the pipe.
        http://www.britannica.com/EBch.../183116/electrolysis

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you cannot have dissimilar metals touch each other, electrolytic corrosion will result. the goo on the pipe is actually dried leakage already. that thing's ready to blow.

iron (steel) and copper is an especially bad result. some 5 years ago, I got a call waiting at the bus stop from the wife, basement was full of water and the ceiling was falling down. night before Christmas eve, I was on a depot run and working until 3 AM to replace a section of copper pipe that rested on a steel nail for a hangar.

when we gutted the basement 3 years later to redo it, found 8 more of the dang things. the reason the first one pinholed was that there was a little dip in the pipe, and condensation from running cold water was all it took to make a battery out of that pipe on the nail.

good thing your plumber found the boiler issue before it failed fully. open your pipe acceses and look around, if there was one there will probably be more. one fitting of brass or plastic will serve to isolate the metals.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5763 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        dissimular metal, if there is water present. it will rust..the pipe is full of water.

IF..that pipe is part of the domestic/potable water piping it was illegal for him ti instasll it
        the only pipe that is approved to be used in a potable water system is copper,galvinized, brass, and pvc.
        blk pipe..such as that is..is a no no...can be used on boiler piping

i downloaded the picture, blew it up
        that nipple is part of the domestic system..its on the pressure reducer/auto feed valve....gotta be brass or copper

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3848 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Looks like you have that pipe on both sides.?

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post