All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    installing washing machine in unheated porch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

installing washing machine in unheated porch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        hello and thanks for reading this post.
        I just moved into a house the hook up for the washing machine is in the kitchen however there is no dishwasher. I have a dishwasher i want to install in the kitchen but the only place i then can put the washing machine is the unheated completely enclosed porch that sits directly next to the kitchen. i would need to run about 4' of hot water hose through the kitchen wall out to the porch and run the washing machine drain back through to the kitchen. i am concerned about the machine drain and hose freezing up in the winter the winters around here temperatures run from around 34 in the day to as cold as 15 degrees at night with occasional colder snaps usually lasting anywhere from a day or two to a week or two. being that the i don't know how cold it will get in the enclosed porch yet. but the machine will be located right against the wall to the kitchen as i mentioned with only about 4' maybe less of hose in the unheated porch. would wrapping the hose and drain in insulation be enough? and would starting all the loads with hot water thaw the pump when running loads. i realize no one can really give a yes or no answer without more detail but because the weather hasn't yet changed i don't know how cold the porch will get. also if anyone has any ideas on how to keep the machine and hoses from freezing i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chrisgeo40,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I would try to find a way to heat the porch. Not necessarily to a comfortable temperature but to keep the porch above freezing.

The potential problems you will have with freezing temperatures go beyond the supply and drain lines from the washer. Not all water will drain from a washing machine so any water remaining can freeze. If the pump freezes, it can crack - causing an expensive repair that will just happen again and again. Added to that, many washing machine parts are plastic. Even if these parts are not filled with ice, hitting the very cold plastic with a burst of hot water can cause sudden expansion and breakage.

If you can somehow limit the size of the porch room where the washing machine will be then a very small heater - like a 6" quartz heater - can run for about $1 a day. All you need to do is to keep the washer at around 40 degrees to keep things from freezing.

Jaybee

Posts: 10126 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks JayBee
        i think that's what i'm going to have to do. for a plan be i may convert my dishwasher to being "portable"

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        remember this..hot water freezes faster than cold water,,its a physics thing

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post