All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Help with loud plumbing
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help with loud plumbing Sign In/Join 
        posted
        This morning at 4:00am we awoke to what sounded like a helicopter. We tracked it down to the plumbing. Our pipes out front are exposed and we have an irrigation system that was running at the time. We shut off the irrigation and it stopped. Noise does not occur when flushing or running a faucet. When the noise was occurring there was a lot of vibration in the pipes out front. There is a backflow preventer (same as anti-siphon?) on the system. Is this a issue with the backflow, or the meter or the sprinkler control? Just not sure who to call or what to tear apart myself. Thanks much!

Posts: 2488 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the backflow preventers we have don't add any noise on a full water flow. but operate any other water user, even the icemaker, with the faucet on and the water stopped outside, and they whine like a bassoon tuning up. it's the nature of the beast, they are responding to an effective backpressure.

our lines are strapped down well, so that isn't the issue.

(looking around for inspectors.....)

if you have an above-ground sprinkler going that is not going to have a chance to introduce any "outside" water under any circumstances, you can take off the backflow preventer "for a functional test." but it has to go back on for any possible connection of a water reserve, such as using a bottle sprayer. absolutely.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5784 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        This was a "suddenly there" noise that has not been present before. It was a constant sound like the sound helicopter blades make. The exterior and interior exposed pipes were vibrating with the same pulse. This is not the one time bang you sometimes hear in pipes, but a continuous thump thump thump.

I saw instance on the internet that the backflow preventer or the meter could be the issue. I guess my questions are based on the symptoms, which is it?

posted Hide Post
        Maybe I'm using the wrong word. Maybe anti-siphon device? Is that the same as backflow? It is outside installed on the main lines of water.

posted Hide Post
        I have a pressure reducing valve out there too. Hmmmmm!