DIY Message Boards
Basement utility sink

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/8543940208

Mar 23, 2014, 12:10 PM
Mikegoody53
Basement utility sink
I installed a basement utility sink but need to set up the drain properly. I have been draining into the sump pump for the past few months but need to fix it the right way. The sink is sitting against a concrete wall in the basement. The closest PVC drain to tap into is 8 feet above on the same wall. There is not a vent pipe nearby. I was told to purchase and set up a hartell pump system that will eject the waste water straight up into the drain pipe. However, I am confused how to go about doing this and want to ensure I tie into the pipe correctly and to code. I searched the internet and YouTube but have found no advice on how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Mar 23, 2014, 01:28 PM
swschrad
I'd cut floor to the nearest drain run towards the floor drain, install a trap and line, and repair the floor.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 23, 2014, 11:43 PM
Jaybee
You really only have two choices here - do as swschrad suggests and cut into the slab until you hit a floor drain or get a pump system to pump it up. Any pump that you get should have instructions to show how high it can pump and how to properly connect it.

Jaybee