DIY Message Boards
clogged drains?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/8253924108

Feb 20, 2014, 11:56 PM
fresno1530
clogged drains?
I have found an easy, non-toxic alternative to drain-o for unclogging drains. Simply put some baking soda in the drain, actually in the pipes, and than pour white vinegar on the baking soda. depending on how much baking soda you put in the drain you can simply keep pouring the white vinegar in a little at a time.

Charles
Feb 21, 2014, 01:30 PM
Sparky617
That method works pretty well on build up on the sides of the drains. I do it in my vanity drains to remove the gunk that collects on the pipes. I've never actually had a clogged trap, it is always stuff on the vertical parts of the drain.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Feb 21, 2014, 01:54 PM
GardenSprite
It can work, sometimes, on clogged drains, but not always. I used it on a kitchen sink and it helped nominally. But I always follow a baking soda and vinegar application with hot water; that's what the original advice I found online recommended, and it makes sense to me.

I've also found that liquid Tide helps clear drains as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Mar 25, 2014, 10:54 AM
E.Wright
Great method, my grandmother told me about it. It helped me a lot of times. However, the effect of it lasts a relatively short time. Sooner or later you will still need to seek for professional plumbers help