DIY Message Boards
Concrete valve cover

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/8213972277

Jul 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
R0Y
Concrete valve cover
I have a valve that is buried in a sidewalk. It had a 9-1/2' diameter by 2" thick round concrete cover that had to be destroyed to remove it in order to access the valve. I need a replacement cover but have not been able to locate one. Any suggestions where I might find such an item. If all else fails I know I can cast a new plug in place. Might even be cheaper and more fun. Still would like to know where one might purchase one.
Jul 16, 2013, 03:37 PM
Sparky617
You might have to make one. You might be able to cut one out of a 12x12 concrete paver with a concrete cutting blade in a throw away circular saw. Otherwise you could make one out of a piece of 2x10 or 2x12 PT wood.

By throw away circular saw I mean a cheapie one that you don't mind ruining because cutting the paver dry will kick up a lot of dust, I have a saw I use for such cuts, after I'm done I use my air compressor and a blower nozzle to blow the dust out of the saw. At some point the dust is going to kill the saw so I don't use my better saw for these kind of cuts.

Alternatively you could rent a concrete wet saw.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.