All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Toilet won't drain properly - tried (almost) everything
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Toilet won't drain properly - tried (almost) everything Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So I have a toilet that won’t drain correctly. When I flush, the bowl fills normally, but the water just sits there. When I use a plunger, it starts to drain VERY SLOWLY. I’ve used an auger on the toilet and it comes out clean, and the toilet is on the ground floor on the same sewer stack as the toilets above and below (which are both working fine).

Some history: We bought the house end of November, toilet worked fine for a few weeks, then started exhibiting the problem. We plunged and it slowly drained – did this a few times before going out and buying an auger. Got home, toilet had drained so I flushed it just to fill the bowl up again and it flushed JUST FINE (with no augering). However, a few weeks later the issue started up again and has continued. (Maybe I need to go buy another auger Wink )

Any ideas? I’ve hunted around on the internet, but I still feel like don’t have a lot of knowledge about what’s going on “behind the scenes” in a toilet. Is there something mechanical like a valve or stopper that could be causing this problem? The only other solution I’ve seen is to pull the toilet, but I’d really rather avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!
        jm

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Are you on a septic system?

Posts: 994 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Means of Fixing a Clogged Toilet

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/

type this link into your browser and look for toilet it is a very good article and hint. goooood luck

Posts: 752 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the quick responses folks! It's likely I'll be pulling the toilet as it appears it's not quite the scary proposition I thought....

jdr - We are not on a septic system, just a sewer line in the city.

beers1 - I'll take a look at that link. Thanks!

jm

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post