DIY Message Boards
Toilet won't drain properly - tried (almost) everything

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791013504/m/7723923008

Jan 08, 2014, 04:59 PM
josefismael
Toilet won't drain properly - tried (almost) everything
So I have a toilet that won’t drain correctly. When I flush, the bowl fills normally, but the water just sits there. When I use a plunger, it starts to drain VERY SLOWLY. I’ve used an auger on the toilet and it comes out clean, and the toilet is on the ground floor on the same sewer stack as the toilets above and below (which are both working fine).

Some history: We bought the house end of November, toilet worked fine for a few weeks, then started exhibiting the problem. We plunged and it slowly drained – did this a few times before going out and buying an auger. Got home, toilet had drained so I flushed it just to fill the bowl up again and it flushed JUST FINE (with no augering). However, a few weeks later the issue started up again and has continued. (Maybe I need to go buy another auger Wink )

Any ideas? I’ve hunted around on the internet, but I still feel like don’t have a lot of knowledge about what’s going on “behind the scenes” in a toilet. Is there something mechanical like a valve or stopper that could be causing this problem? The only other solution I’ve seen is to pull the toilet, but I’d really rather avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!
jm
Jan 08, 2014, 06:34 PM
jdr
Are you on a septic system?
Jan 08, 2014, 07:20 PM
beers1
Means of Fixing a Clogged Toilet

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/

type this link into your browser and look for toilet it is a very good article and hint. goooood luck
Jan 09, 2014, 11:12 AM
josefismael
Thanks for the quick responses folks! It's likely I'll be pulling the toilet as it appears it's not quite the scary proposition I thought....

jdr - We are not on a septic system, just a sewer line in the city.

beers1 - I'll take a look at that link. Thanks!

jm