All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Plumbing    Replacing utility sink pump; a DIY job?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Replacing utility sink pump; a DIY job? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        Hello. Our washing machine dumps water into a utility sink. A switch, that uses a tube and fixture that sits in the water, turns the pump on/off. The waste water is pumped UP and out to the septic system.
        The switch is going bad and I'd like to change to a pump that collects water below the sink--so we don't constantly have standing water.
        Is this a job I could take on myself, or do I need to call in a pro?
        Here are some pictures of the setup:
        switch
        pump
        plumbing out from pump
        plumbing up connects to drain to septic

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posts: 348 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        hard question to answer,,,it all depends on your knowledge and apitude for mechanical/plumbing work
        yes, you can do it, but can you?
        if it were me, i would buy a 50 gallon plastic drum
        cut a hole in the concrete and bury the drum
        route the drain piping to the drum,,and install a pump with float AND a overflow alarm .to pump up and out

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Frodo.
        Cutting into and digging under the concrete is a lot more than I wanted to get into.
        If I just replace the pump with an under sink model, does anything about the existing plumbing look particularly difficult to replace?

Posts: 348 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        ok,..measure the output of the washer. you can put a container
        of X capiciety under the sink, then use a submersable pump with a float
        to lift to existing piping..that will get rid of your standing water problem.
        question????? after your pump kicks on, and pumps out, when it trurns off
        is their any water left in sink? if yes, your ck valve is stuck open..if no your good to go

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, there's always some water that comes back into the sink.